30. Last day

●●●

●●●

The days were long for Amelia Weasley once Harry Potter stayed in the Leaky Cauldron. Tom was enthusiastic about the girl spending time with the young wizard. He insisted on her socializing with people her age instead of making conversations with the unpredictable wizards and witches that came to drink. Or even the warlocks that kept asking her to refill their cups.

Tom went as far as to make Harry and Amelia's breakfast at the same time and place them at the same table. The Weasley would try to take her plate else where but tom claimed the other tables were for customers. Defeated, Amelia sucked up her pride and ate breakfast and dinner next to Harry Potter.

Their brief time together would be quiet. Both do not know how to interact with each other. Amelia would at times catch Harry open his mouth, pause, then close it again and eat his food. The two would instead listen to the conversations that surrounded them. The most talk was about Sirius Black, to which Harry would listen attentively. Basking in the little information he could gather. Which was nothing. The papers began to repeat the same things only using different words and phrases to calm the public and ensure their safety.

But no one would be calm until Sirius Black is back in his cell in Azkaban.

" Are you finished?" Amelia asked the boy. She gathered her plate and utiles and waited for Harry to place his empty plates on top of hers. She still had to do her part of the deal she made with Tom, cleaning and clearing dishes. The pile of dirty plates was probably larger than mount Everest, it always was after the breakfast rush.

" Oh, Yes." Harry pushed his plate toward her. He watched the Weasley disappear behind the kitchen door. Just like every other morning. Each time he caught a glimpse of her, he would try to muster the courage to simply speak to her. After all, she was his best friend's twin sister. But there was an intimating aurora around the girl.

Her eyes were sharp and cold like the sea. Her words were short and laced with annoyance each time she had to speak to him. Her head was always in a book, just like Hermione, Harry couldn't help but wonder if the two would be good friends if it wasn't for her prejudiced way of thinking. He hadn't known the girl for long, but even he could note her ambition simply by the way she worked.

When Amelia finished washing the dishes, she noticed that Harry was long gone. A wave of relief washed over her. Not wanting to deal with any more of his awkward silent moments. She walked to her room and collapsed onto her bed. Her arms were tired and her hands were pruned because of how long it took her to finish washing all the dirty dishes. Sleep seemed like a sweet escape. But her Hogwarts letter lay on her nightstand, mocking her as she turned her head to look away from it.

A couple of sickles lived in her bookbag, all due to Tom's apparition of her work in the kitchen. But it wasn't enough to cover her book expenses. She was taking all the same courses from the year before, now adding the national course of Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, and Arithmancy. The girl wanted to bang her head against the wall to forget her troubles but the new school year is a week away and is ill-prepared.