25. The attack

•••

•••

It had been four months since Justin got petrified and things have started to look brighter.

The mandrakes throw a loud and destructive party in the greenhouse, which made Professor Sprout happy. They finally reached the adolescent mark. Although Professor Sprout informed Amelia, when she asked desperately, that they still weren't quite ready just yet, "The moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they're fully mature."

As time went on, Erine's rage toward Harry dwindled. He began to act civil with him once again, but Amelia still preferred to be far away from him at all costs. Even Peeves stopped chanting, "Oh Potter, you Rotter", every time he saw Harry pass by.

In April Amelia, along with the rest of the second-year students, was given an important task. To choose their subjects for the third year. A decision Amelia found difficult to do.

" I don't even know what to choose." Sighed Amelia. The paper in Infront of her displayed the many possible courses to take.

Ernie on the other hand already marked muggle studies as an elective, the things he hears Justin comment on in his muggle life intrigued him and always left him wanting to know more. 

" I thought you wanted to take muggle studies?" Ernie questioned. The two were in the library once again completing their homework assignments. Snape was ruthless, assigning three different readings on three different potions and having to write three essays for them. Amelia concluded she hated Professor Snape.

" Eh, it's a soft option don't you think?"  Amelia said, Crossing muggle studies off her list.  " Though divination sounds interesting."

" You say Muggle study is a soft option and then you choose divination? the most useless form of magic. It's all guesswork." Ernie said, questioning his friend's intelligence. 

" Most useless? You can get clues of your future." defended Amelia, " It's the most fascinating  form of magic if you ask me." 

" To each their own I suppose." Ernie shrugged. He looked back down to his paper and questioned which other class to take. Care of magical creatures stood out to him the most.

" Hm, Ancient runes could be useful? or perhaps Arithmancy it appears interesting." Amelia listed off, "Definitely want to try out care of magical creatures."  

" You can only choose two. It would be difficult to take so many classes." Ernie commented. He grew slightly concerned when Amelia signed up for all the classes, besides Arithmancy. Being academically driven was one of Amelia's most defying traits. He has never once seen her not studying, reading a book on magic, or simply doing her research on magic. He always admired her for it, but now he couldn't help but wonder why she was adamant about taking so many courses.

" It'll be fine." Amelia smiled, waving off Ernie's question. 

" I don't know. Maybe you shouldn't take any extra class-"

" I'll be fine, Ernie. No need to worry." Amelia dismissed. She quickly applied for her classes before turning her attention back onto her potions reading.

Dropping the subject, Erine sighed knowing Justin would have agreed with him. 

______________________

Quidditch slowly became something Amelia tried to ignore. She didn't hate the sport she liked watching the game, just not when Gryffindor plays.  

She didn't want to watch her brothers, Fred and George, nor see Harry Potter outside of the classroom setting. And besides, her gut told her it would have been a waste of time because Gryffindor would win once again.

So, what would the point of attending the match be?

This is why on Saturday morning Amelia went to breakfast, The Gryffindor table was rowdy with students while the Hufflepuffs chanted for Cedric Diggory.

The day Ernie and Justin tried out for Quidditch was when she first encountered him.

Amelia wasn't blind. At the sight of him, a pink hue flushed her cheeks. To her delight, neither Erine nor Justin noticed, the two boys were devoured by their nerves which eventually caused them to not make the team. But Cedric encouraged them to join next year.

Maybe I should go and watch the match...to support Hufflepuff. The Slytherin sighed, realizing she had a potions essay that needed to be done.

Finishing her breakfast, she made her way out of the great hall along with the mass of students who headed down toward the quidditch field.

Reaching the library, she avoided eye contact with madam Prince who stared down at her as she passed. The library was practically empty. A few seats were occupied by students working, some drifting off to sleep, or mindlessly staring at the walls.

Amelia walked her way toward her regular spot. As she did, out of the corner of her eye, a white glimmer stopped her.

A mirror littered the ground. Reflecting the morning light into Amelia's face. Confused, she walked toward the object. Seeing a book bag at the side of the desk cleared her mind.

Oh someone dropped their mirror. But simple little accidents are never so simple. For when Amelia picked up the mirror, she turned her head to the side where the desk stood.

Two bodies lay on the ground. Frozen. Non- responsive. The Gryffindor and Ravenclaw crest stood out proudly in their clothes. Amelia stared, wide-eyed in shock,  her blood running cold the minute she recognized one of the girls in front of her.

Amelia's scream echoed in the silent library. Her heart pounded in her ears. She gain mobility once again and rushed to the two girls. She placed two fingers against the Ravenclaws and Gryffindor's neck, a sigh of relief left her when she felt a weak but steady pulse.

" No yelling in" Madam Prince's loud voice stopped. Gasping at the sight in front of her. " Quickly! Someone get Pomfrey! And alert the headmaster!"

The librarian rushed to Amelia's side and checked on the two girls.

" How long have they been down?"  Asked Prince.

" I-I don't know. I just now discovered them." Amelia answered.

Dumbledore along with McGonagall and Pomfrey, and three 7th years, entered the library with two stretchers. The three students helped them up.

Amelia stepped away, letting the teachers handle the situation. She still stood flabbergasted at the sight. Her mind ran into different possibilities because her hypothesis changed once again.

Harry was out in the quidditch field. Which made it impossible for him to have been able to curse them. Also, Amelia didn't think Harry Potter would petrify his friend Hermione Granger.

Amelia's eyes looked around the library. Analyzing every corner, speck, and detail. Anything that the true attack could have left behind.

But she saw nothing. The body of the two students was finally taken away, everyone's voice filled the room. Questions were being asked but no one seemed to have answers. Only that the heir has struck once again.

Amelia should have guessed that the quiet four months were a bad sign. She inhaled sharply when her mind began to think logically.

It's going to get worse from here.