28. The book thief

●●●

●●●

" I'm not stealing it!"

" Did you pay for it?"

Silence fell between the old man and the redhead girl. A glare sharp as knives pierced Amelia's soul. Her thrashing stopped as the hold the old man had on the back of her shirt tightened. Jerking her body back forcefully. Sending a course of fear to her chest.

" I forgot it was in my bag."

" Liar! Don't you think I know who you are?" His voice raised as the anger bubbled inside him, " You sleazy Weasleys. Can't even afford a secondhand book!" He shouted. He dragged Amelia toward the entrance of his shop and threw her out.

Her knees and hands hit the pavement. A string of curses slipped through her lips quietly as she scrambled to get up, sending a glare toward the old bookkeeper. She ignored the curious looks of bystanders. Quickly, she Fixed the back of her shirt, tightened the hold on her book bag, and left the shop with her head held high to her new destination. The ice cream parlor wasn't a long walk. The mid-August air warmed her exposed arms as she found a seat at one of the outdoor tables. Her book bag perched on her lap as she pulled out seven tiny books.

" Here we got you a chocolate fudge ice cream." Ernie walked out of the parlor, two ice cream cones in hand, and sat across from Amelia with Justin following behind him

" Yum, thank you." She grabbed the cone from Ernie before pulling her wand out of her bag.

" What are you doing? You're going to get in trouble with the misery." Justin exclaimed, watching as his friend grabbed one of the tiny books and placed it directly in front of her. Underage magic was the one law that Justin took seriously, in fear that it would take him away from the magical world he had grown to love. So much so that he would lock his wand in a safe, to erase all temptation of using it. Alongside his broom and other magical objects. Though he did read his texts books sometimes when he would get bored.

"What's the big deal?"

" Underage magic is forbidden!" Justin whispered harshly as Amelia enlarged the tiny book to its natural size. Justin gasped at her action, quickly looking around, waiting for a ministry official to yell at them and send them to the police.

Wait does the wizarding world have police? Justin wondered.

" That rule mostly applies to Muggle-borns, honestly." Amelia waved off, enlarging another book to its natural size.

" What?"

Ice cream began to drip down Amelia's hand. Quickly she chased them down with her tongue, Licking away the streams of chocolate, " Hmm, Erine explained it please." She asked.

"The trace charm gets activated when magic is performed around the underaged wizard. In our case, because we come from a magical family, the trace is activated the majority of the time because magic is always performed around us," Ernie stated, " therefore the ministry does not monitor us as much as they do muggle-born wizards." He finished, taking a bite of his Ice cream.