All's well that ends well

song-  Miss Americana & the heartbreak prince by Taylor Swift.

I sat in the chair, combing my hair. It looked perfect. The dress, the makeup, the hair, the moment.  Belly sat in the chair next to me staring at herself too. This was all too surreal. I grabbed her hand. "Let's promise each other- never to keep secrets and tell each other everything even if the thing would hurt them and never get mad at each other and always be there for each other and never stop talking again." I babble. "That's a lot of things peach, I promise." Belly laughs. 

"Girls- it starts in 2 minutes, line up." The woman informs the last of us. 

"Isabel Conklin---" The woman announced and belly walked forward, I saw Jeremiah look at us from his side, Conrad right behind him. The two smiled at us. I waved frantically to Conrad as Belly walked out. 

The next moment, the voice came out all muffled. 

"Georgia Summer- daughter of David Summer and Norah Benjamin. A student at Trinity High School, where she is the captain of the cheerleading squad, and has won the NCA championship 2 out of the 3 times under her leadership. Georgia raised $8000 for the Young Talent charity, which gives financially troubled students scholarships. 

I hooked my arms around Conrad and smiled. 

This was happening. 

I looked over at mom and Beck's table. They were smiling widely, which made me feel giddy. 

Conrad helped me walk straight, God Bless his soul. We walked over to the table, he left my hand as I walked over to Mom and Beck. "Is ok if I give this to Beck, Mom?" I ask. She nods and Beck turns to look at me in surprise. "For being my mom this summer. You did an amazing job and I love you so so much." I kissed her cheeks as I handed her the bouquet. 

"I love your daughter." She turns to look at Norah. 

"Well everybody does." Norah laughs. 

"I love you too honey." Beck, taps my cheek. 

I curtsey and walk back to Conrad. 

Laurel shifts uncomfortably in her chair and gets up to leave. 

A while later Jeremiah walks out to call her for the escort dance. He comes back a little upset. 

I walked up to him before the dance began. "Jere, everything ok?" I ask him, Grabbing his hands. "Does my mom seem ok to you?" He asks. "Kinda yea, why?" I ask. "She's just sleeping a lot, smoking a lot of pot." He states. "Now that you've said it- yeah she's been asleep half of summer." I look at her. "Hey- we'll figure it out ok." I grab him for a quick kiss. "I'm so happy you just did that." He pecks me again. 

After the escort dance was over, we sat at the table for a few minutes before our dances. Belly, Conrad, Joe and I were fully emerged in a conversation to notice Jeremiah missing so when the glass was clinked to get our attention, Belly started to worry about missing Jeremiah, Beck told us he'd be there in a minute and said we should go get ready for the same. 

Conrad and I stood at our place. "Where do you think Jere's gone?" I ask him. "I don't know." He answers. "I think I should go check." I leave without waiting for him to answer.  I ran out of the hall and tried every hallway, finally, I stepped out of the club and out. in the open. I saw a figure sitting on the stairs, a phone in his hand. 

"Jeremiah?" I picked up my gown as I stepped down the stairs. 

"Hey, Jere? What wrong?" I squat. "It's back- Mom's cancer," Jeremiah whispers. "It can't be, she beat it years ago. Please no- this can't be happening. Jere- Belly is waiting for you inside. Let's go, get up." I say standing up.