to infinity and beyond

Song- It's been a long long day by Harry James

Summer is always great, what makes it the best is sharing your birthday with your best friend.

It had been 2 weeks since the drive-in incident. Belly had barely spoken to me in the 2 weeks, she would just acknowledge me. The mothers found out from Steven what happened that night and babied me until I told them I was ok.

Belly and I had birthday traditions, that I didn't want to break because of a stupid fight. So on the morning of our birthday, I knocked her bedroom door and waited for her to open it. Silence filled the air as she open the door and saw me standing.

"Can I come in?" I point to her room. She opened the door wide and let me in. "Belly listen." "No Peach, let me speak first." she steps closer. "I'm sorry. I should have known you would never do something like this to me. You are my best friend and I was so rude to you. I just didn't know what I was saying, I was so angry and the words just fell out and I - I was so terrible, you should like totally hate me." Belly waves her hands around frantically. I closed the gap as I hugged her. "I'm sorry too. I should have come to you sooner. I hated last 2 weeks. I hate it when we fight, it was like I lost a part of me." I whisper hugging her close.

"Friends again?" Belly looks up at me. "Best friends." I smile at her, and then dragged her down to the kitchen. Our first birthday tradition was Laurel's Mickey mouse Pancake breakfast.

"Morning everyone." Both I and Belly chimed happily. "Hey, Happy birthday Girls." everybody said in the most synchronized voice ever. "There's the birthday girl. Looking like a vision in Floral and a vision in ruffles." Susannah grabs us both for a giant hug. "Thank you." we both giggle.

"Happy sweet 16 Belly." Jeremiah comes in the second Susannah leaves. "Happy 19 Princess Peach." He leaned down to kiss my cheeks. "Well Well, Thank you, commander." I salute him as I giggle. "Belly button finally getting old. Two of my favourite girls. Happy birthday." Steven says bitting a piece of Bacon. "Happy birthday Sissy." Joe picks me up and whirls me around like a hurricane. "I'm getting dizzy, I'm getting dizzy." I giggle. Joe puts me down and hugs me. "happy birthday Georgy." He says, swaying me. "Happy birthday Belly." He gives her a tight hug.

"Pancake time," Laurel announces. "Actually um I'm not very hungry." Belly points at the pancake. Laurel's face falls. "I am. Bring 'em on." I sit, pulling Belly next to me. "She looks sad, just have one bite," I whisper. Laurel gets me the pancakes with the candle on them. "Make a wish." Jeremiah leans in front of me. I close my eyes and make a wish.

'I wish... I wish ... I wish... for the best summer here on out and I wish we all stayed the same and nothing changes.'

I blow out the candles and smile at Jeremiah, who looked at me intently. "Gift time," Susannah announces. I take a pancake and stuff it in my mouth as everybody makes their way to the living room. Belly and I take our place on the small couch with all the gifts in front of us.

Laurel hands her gift to us. it had the same packing and looked exactly the same. Belly tore the paper, while I carefully took off the tape and opened it. "Hurry up peach, you're taking forever." Belly laughed. "Just a moment," I say taking off the last tape, carefully.

"It's the first edition. I got it from a rare book dealer." Laurel smiled. "Thanks, mom," Isa said, while I opened the book to bookmarked page.

I read a few lines then looked up at Laurel and Susannah. "It's Susannah's favourite poem." I smiled. "For whatever we lose... Like you or me it's always ourselves we find in the sea." Every child in the room joins in reciting the poem. "I love it. Thank you." I say.

"Okay, open mine now." She hands us a small wrapped box, and again I take my time to open it.

We open the box at the same time and gasp. "They are gorgeous Susannah," I whisper, not being able to take my eyes off them. "Wow, these are really beautiful. Thank you." Belly thanks.

"My mom gave me this necklace when I was 16, she told me to pass it on to my daughter, if I had one. Now I have two. So I made bracelets of those pearls." She joins us on the couch and clasps the bracelets on our hands. I hug Susannah and she does the same. She pulls in Belly for a hug too.

"I'm next." Jeremiah picks his gift and hands one to me and one to Belly. "It's so sweet," I say after opening the tiny box. it had a charm for my bracelet. A moon and a star. Belly got a good luck charm to pass her driver's test. "Perfect." She said putting it on.

"Heads up. Girls." Steven throws something our way. I catch it but Belly falls back with it on her face. I grab it and see. A Princeton Sweatshirt. "Steven spent money on us." Belly laughed. "I didn't want you, girls, to steal mine. When we get in next year." Steven smiled. "I'll be flaunting Yale in your face Steven, I don't need Princeton," I smirk. "You'll be applying for Yale?" Joe chimes in excitedly. "Well mom's an alumnus and it just feels right. I just have to trust my GPA now." I laugh. "Well, I'll be applying for Cornell and Princeton too. Maybe not Harvard or Columbia." I scrunch my face. "That's amazing news." Joe runs over to hug me.

"You are not coming into Princeton. You'll just tell everyone embarrassing stories of me. I don't want anyone knowing embarrassing stories of me." Steven cries from his chair.

"Listen Steven if I get into Princeton by any chance, you and I will be living separate lives, I won't meddle with yours, so don't worry. You won't see much of me." I speak sadly. "I never said, I don't want to see you. You'll be my girl in Princeton. That is if we get in." He points out and I smile at him.

"Joe, my present?" I hold out my hand. He drops his car keys. "You got me a car?" I stand up excitedly. "No I didn't get you a car, where do you think I work? You can use my car for the summer that's your gift. and Belly, here you go." He hands her a small gift bag. She looks through the tissue and finds a perfume. "Thanks, Joey." Belly smiles at him. "Worst Birthday gift ever." I huff at him.

"Connie, would you like to give your gift now?" Susannah interrupted my little huff session. "Um sorry, I forgot." Conrad looks at us. "I'm taking that title from you. You get the worst birthday gift ever title now." I look at him. "It's it- it is okay, I wasn't expecting anything anyway." Belly sounded a little heartbroken.

"I have to go, I promised Cleveland I'd meet him at the yacht." Conrad stands up and leaves. "I'll be right back," I say running after him. "Connie," I shout and run after him to the car. I close the car door and he turns to look at me. "Fetch it out." I hold my palm open. "huh?" he looks at me confused.

"Fetch my present out. I know you have it." I smile at him.

"I don't, Georgia." He looks at me.

"18 years you've never forgotten a gift. You've given me a flower once, but you picked that flower on your own. Now you're telling me I can't even get a flower 2.0?" I place my hands on my hips.

"I know you and Belly had a fight. Keep me out of it, please. I want my present. You know I'm a material girl." I strike a pose, making him laugh. "Don't tell her." He fetches a small velvet string bag from his pocket and hands it to me. "Ah, mysterious," I say opening it. "An infinity bracelet. Oh, your family did not discuss the gift didn't yall. All three got us a bracelet. Does Belly get one too?" I ask tip toeing up to kiss him on the cheeks. "Thanks," I say strapping it to my hand.

"I'll give her later. Don't tell her that's my gift." he points to me and then tips my nose. "Bye loser." he smiles getting in the car. "I'm not a loser, I have bracelets." I laugh and get back in the house. "Happy birthday Peach." He says before reversing the car out of the driveway.

"Peach, Simon's calling you continuously. " Belly tosses me my phone. "He is?" I question and she nods. I dial him back and put the phone to my ear.

"Hey," I say softly. "Guess what?" He questions. "What?" I ask, turning away from the crowd. "I'm in Cousins right now." He answers. "No, you're not." I shake my head, trying to make him go away. "Georgy, my bus just entered Cousins." He chuckles from the other side of the phone.

I walk over to Joe, who sat with Steven talking about colleges. I cover the headset and turn to him. "Simon took a bus and he's in Cousins on my birthday to surprise me," I explain.