Beach traditions

Song - You're not Harry Styles by Dylan. 

I hold my breath as I hear the number three, everything around me splashed as I hit my back with cold chlorine water. I was in for a whole 18 seconds before I surfaced back up. I hear Belly laughing as she pulled Conrad into the water. He makes his way towards us, Belly pulls me as a shield between her and Conrad. 

He smiles when he sees me and pulls me into a wet hug into the pool. He then proceeds to dunk me in several times. "Stop," I say before he does it again. "Dunking me." I laugh after he lets me up. He joins in. 

"I missed you." He splashes some water my way. I splash him too. 

I check to see if Isabel is already out. She is. Jeremiah and Steven were already on their way back in. "Hey, my phone?" I ask Steven. "It's on the table." He points out. "What? can't stay away from your Simon?" Conrad teases me. "I can, I have to call mom. Inform her we reached in one piece." I laugh as Conrad helps me out of the pool. 

I grab my phone and walk into the house dripping on the floor. Joe throws a towel on me. "You're dripping all over the furniture." He informs me. "That's what my mom said. Joe's peach's mom." Belly teases him, earning a wack on the head from Joe. "I'm calling mom, anybody wants to talk?"  I announce and both Susannah and Laurel line up in front of me. 

I ring up mom and inform her that we reached, after that, I hand my phone to Susannah and Laurel and wait for them to finish. "Norah!! we are missing you." They both shout. "I'm missing you too. " Norah's voice booms over the speaker. "Norah!!! why didn't you tell us, Peach has grown so big. She looks beautiful. She's you." Susannah speaks rapidly. "I swear to God," Laurel says from beside her. 

Blood rushes through my cheeks. Belly smiles raising her eyebrow. I walk over to her and hit her on the shoulder. "She said that to me too." She whispers proudly. "Of course she did. You have grown. You know if Susannah had a daughter, we'd be them all over again." I whisper. "we could dress Jere bear up." I laugh a little loudly, and Isa joins me.   

I look up to see Jeremiah staring at me seriously. "We weren't talking about you." I chuckle, speaking a little loudly. "Yeah totally not saying that we should dress you up and recreate the big three pictures." Isa blurts out the whole plan. Jeremiah smirks as he walks over to us. "You won't get it," I say, trying to get away before he caught me. 

Belly runs to her room, leaving me in the hands of Jeremiah. "Care to show me my new room?" I ask, throwing my bag in his arms. "Sure." He smiles. He leads me onto his bedroom side. "This is your bedroom." He opens a door to the room, that I swear wasn't here for the last 17 summers. "Mom did some addition and got some extra rooms," Jeremiah informs. I open the room and see lilac wallpaper with daisies on them. "Wow." I turn to look at Jeremiah, who was staring at me. "I know right?" He smiles knowingly. "This is... wow." I get lost in words. 

"Hey, how about we go swim at the beach before dinner?" He flops on my bed. "I would love to, given that it is my tradition and that I let you and Belly join me. Could you get Stitch in the house though first? I'll meet you in at the back once I'm changed." I smile at him. "Sure. Connie already brought Stitch in and is playing with her, I'll go tell Belly to change." he smiles before getting to his feet. "I'm really glad you're here." He hugs me. "Me too Jere bear." I hug him back.

Soon I was downstairs in my blue bikini and pulled over a white shirt, to cover up. "Belly?" I ask once I open the back door. "Coming." He says pushing his hair back. "Great," I say awkwardly stepping into the outdoors. "Hey, Peach." Jeremiah got my attention. "Hey, Jere bear" I looked at him. "So Norah, not going to be here?" He asks. "Uh-huh." I hum. "Are you ok?" he questions. "Yeah, why'd you ask?" I question back. "No reason. Just checking on you. Hey, if Norah, not going to be here all summer, does that mean late-night beach strolls are on?" he changes the subject. "Sure." I smile quietly. 

It was Jere & Peach to do. A late-night beach stroll. 

I had something with everyone in this house. With Belly, I had a late-night swim in the pool. With Connie, we'd just sit on the deck and talk about stuff bothering us. With Joe, it was an early morning jog along the beach. Steven and I had history. We dated when we were 14, but it was kid's love and since then we have just been good friends. That was my first real heartbreak. We do fun stuff with others but we are yet to find ourselves alone in a room without someone present there. 

After Belly joined us we walked down the sandy path toward the beach. "Waited all year for this." Belly sighs looking over the sea. "Me too." I smile. "You want to race?" Jeremiah looks at the two of us. "Oh no, come on your legs are too long now." Belly complaints, I stay quiet listening to the two bicker. "Oh come on-" Jeremiah's next words were eaten by dust as Belly ran towards the sea. 

Jeremiah was right behind her, he looked back and saw me not running after them and ran back. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the water, we played in the water until we were tired, laid on the beach for a while trying to dry ourselves and then walked back home in time for dinner.