xx34xx

A few hours had went by and everyone on the team except for Hotch and Rossi had fallen asleep by now when finally a doctor walked into the waiting room.

"Who's here for Hayley Brooks?", the brunette man asked.

"She's my fiance. I'm Agent Hotchner.", Hotch replied while standing up, this woke Emily up. The rest of the team also started opening their eyes because of the sudden voices.

"Alright Agent Hotchner. I'm Doctor Westfield. We were able to stabilize your fiance. The bullet hit her next to her liver. One inch closer to the left and it would have been in the liver, she was really lucky today. Luckily someone has provided good first aid, otherwise she probably wouldn't have made it. Her heart stopped beating again during the surgery but we were able to bring her back.", the surgeon explained to Hotch. "Did you know about your fiance pregnancy?", he then proceeded to ask.

"Yes sir, she's 19 weeks pregnant. No wait 20, sorry.", Aaron replied.

"I'm sorry but I have to inform you that the fetus didn't make it. The blood flow to the uterus got interrupted for too long.", Westfield informed him. "Ms Brooks will be brought to room 289 in about half an hour. You can visit her then.", he added.

"Uhm alright, thank you sir...", Hotch muttered shocked. After a quick goodbye Hotch sat back down and felt all of his team members watching him.

"I'm really sorry Hotch.", JJ was the first to say something.

"It's alright. Really. I hadn't expected something else to be honest.", Hotch replied and the others went back to minding their business. They didn't want him to feel as if they were watching him.

Emily took his hand and gave it a small squeeze which resulted in him giving her a small smile. "Did you hear him? He said without the first aid she wouldn't have made it. Like I told you, you did a great job.", he said encouraging.

"I just did what everyone would have done.", Emily mumbled quiet so that only Aaron could hear it.

"Not everyone in your position would have done that.", Hotch remembered her. "Someone else would have taken this as an opportunity..."

"Don't say that. I didn't even think about that for one second.", Prentiss told him a bit upset about the fact that he even thought about the possibility that she would have let her die so she could definitely be with Hotch.

"I know. And that's one thing I love about you, you do what's right and not what brings benefits for you.", Hotch whispered and pressed a kiss on her forehead. Emily rested her head back onto his chest and closed her eyes again. She was really exhausted and she knew that she should have listened to her doctor when he said she should stay in hospital, at least overnight and probably one or two days longer, since she had a concussion and two broken rips. But she just wanted to be with Hotch and the team after everything that had happened.

About half an hour later Emily got woken up by Hotch. "I'm sorry to wake you up but me and Garcia we'll go to Hayley now if that's okay for you?", Hotch apologized.

"Yes of course. Go and look after her Aaron.", Emily replied tired but still encouraging. He squeezed her hand real quick and then walked away with Garcia.

Emily got up a few minutes later. "I need to get some fresh air. Does anyone want a coffee when I come back", she asked. After getting a nod from everyone she left the waiting room and went outside of the hospital. There she searched for something in her coat but couldn't find what she was looking for so she went to the hospital store. Prentiss bought a pack of cigarettes and went back outside where she lit one of them. "Since when are you smoking?", she heard someone ask. She turned around and saw Rossi standing there.