To All Readers & Writers / Dedication / Contents

A Poet's Progress
By Fox-Trot-9

To All Readers & Writers / Dedication

I've been thinking about posting this for a while now. Since I'm new here, and I just posted More Shakespeare's Sonnets a month ago without giving a rat's ass about introducing myself, I might as well do that here. So who the hell am I? Well, for starters, I'm single and sexy, but I have a confidence problem. I seem to want instant satisfaction when I post my stuff up here, but I rarely do; I guess I'm extremely hard to please, when it comes to my own expectations. I've found that whenever I post here, I always posted while wearing a mask to hide who I really was—that I was timid.

I wasn't always that way, though. In fact, two years ago, when I was a freshman in high school, I was a different. I was brave; I was fearless; I didn't give a rat's ass if I pissed people off or anything. That was me two years ago. And I have Mrs. Sweikert to thank for that. She was my Creative Writing teacher, who pushed me farther than I ever thought I could go in writing and in my self-esteem. Her writing class was kind of like medicine for me, because I could vent my frustrations into writing them down, without regard to style or appropriateness. In fact, she always said to the class, "Don't ever feel that you have to hide your true feelings when you write. And if your parents catch you writing something they disapprove of, SHOCK 'em!"

I'm not sure if what I wrote was shock-worthy, but I put my heart and soul into the following entries of this collection. These entries comprise of autobiographical poems placed in chronological order, so as to give the reader a sense of who I am. Some of them are brain-teasers, other's are just plain funny or weird. But I have no qualms, either way.

Someday, I hope to be the fearless poet I once was two years ago. I will strive to be recognized, and God willing, I will not be denied. I guess it all comes down to that egotistical self that says, "Hey, look at me!" It's all about ego, folks, and we all might as well admit it. If we didn't think what we wrote was worth reading, we wouldn't be posting our stuff here. And I thank Mrs. Sweikert for that. She is my hero, and I dedicate this work to her.

Table of Contents

1. Cinquain Autobiography
2. Hope
: An Acrostic

3. My Snapshot: Armadillo
4. Soundtrack of My Life
5. Thanks to Mom
6. Loneliness
: Transient Imprisonment

7. Don't Do that or Else!
8. The Little Things that Matter
9. Off to the Philippines
10. Dreams: Crossroads
11. Circle
: Wedding Vows
12. Picture This
: Out on a Limb
13. Victim's Family Urges Execution
: Found Poetry
14. To My Father 15. Morning Ills
16. Object Memories
17. Mind Block: The Worst Boredom
18. Nike Shoes
19. The Norm of Divorce
20. God, Who Art Thou?
21. Nightmares
22. Rudy the Watchdog
23. "MIddle" Finger Custom
24. Bowling Rumors
25. Path Less Treaded
26. Romantic Flaws
27. Pure Obsession
28. Compassionate
29. 14 Years of Life
30. Deadly Secret
31. Darn Cats
: A Letter of Complaint
32. Catch 22
33. Lovesick Blues
34. In the Ghetto
35. Love & Its Discontents

36. Choices
37. Sonnet to Carlo & Alan

Afterward

(To be continued...)

A/N: I would've put this anthology up for the Watty Awards, but I can't. They specifically disallowed poetry and non-fiction works. Still, I will not be denied!