nineteen

"Quiet down, everyone," Dumbledore asks, his voice airy and soft. "Quiet please."

The noise in the great hall moves to a whisper. Dumbledore stops waiting, and continues to speak in the same tone.

"Before we get too engaged in our meal. I have exciting news for all of you."

I nudge Cedric with my elbow, straight in his rips. He quickly stops whispering across the table. He looks towards me, narrowing his eyes. He dramatically rubs the area I hit before shaking his head. He wears a curious expression.

"Do you ever shut up?" I ask, whispering harshly. When he isn't talking to me, his full attention is on Rosa. He laughs at her very mediocre jokes, and gazes at her with those light, enchanting eyes.

Cedric rolls his eyes and looks towards the headmaster. His chin rests on his hand. I laugh, quietly.

"Your conversation with Rosa wasn't that interesting."

"You don't know that!" She says, quietly. Her voice is still shrill and rather high pitched.

Cedric smiles, and gives me a lighthearted look. "This Opal girl better be worth it."

"We have two students from Ilvermorny transferring to Hogwarts," Dumbledore continues, motioning towards Opal and Auggie who are standing near the end of the staff table. "I trust you to give them a very warm welcome, as Hogwarts will be their new home."

The crowd claps, looking around for the new students. According to Fred and George, transfers not on September first are pretty rare. I was surprised to hear that as kids at Ilvermorny constantly talk about going to Hogwarts. Something about the rich line of history seems more prestigious compared to our school. The American congress of magic isn't taken very seriously compared to the ministry.

Mcgonagall stands, holding the rickety old stool with both of her hands. The hat suddenly perks up on top of it, making Opal jump. Opal's face contorts into pure disgust. I laugh at her reaction. Part of me wishes I could have been there as she read my letter addressing the sorting ceremony. I can already imagine her furrowed eyebrows, looking at the letter with pure confusion as she makes fun of the system. Opal quickly gives her brother a nervous glance, and I'm reminded of Auggie. His face is extremely pale, and almost green. He looks like he's about to be sick.

"Rayenwood, August," Mcgonagall says simply.

A wave of anxiety rushes over me as I remember what it felt like. At least it was the first day when I got sorted, not the middle of October. The sorting hat sits on Auggie's head, and he almost braces like it's going to cause him pain. His face is scrunched up, and his eyes are closed. Silence fills the room.

Nothing happens, and he suddenly opens his eyes, looking up at the hat. I wonder what the hat is saying to him. Why else would a sorting take this long?

The great hall is quieter as ever while people look at him with curious expressions. We wait for seconds that feel drawn out into minutes. Auggie's expression is rapidly changing.

The sorting hat opens its mouth before shouting, "Ravenclaw!"

Auggie's face is full of confusion. I can't help but laugh as I cheer for him. Auggie was always so insecure about being overshadowed by his twins academic achievements. His creative side never got the chance to shine because of the crazy things Opal would do. The Ravenclaws clap politely, but I'm very easily the loudest.

Although the anticipation is high, students tend to be less excited for transfers. They're more calm today then they were when I got sorted.

"Rayenwood, Opal."

Opal hesitantly walks over to the sorting hat, her expression still the same. She eyes the dust sitting on the brim, and I can't help but notice her gag. She's always been weird about objects lots of people have touched. She says her skin crawls at the thought of public resources.

The sorting hat gets placed on her head, and before she can react it quickly shouts "Slytherin!" I smile as she walks towards the Slytherin table, a small smile on her face.

Food appears at the table and chatter begins to arise. My gaze doesn't leave Opal as she looks up and down the table, despite there being plenty of free spaces. Her eyes seem to move student to student, and her smile slowly fades. She shakes her head and sits towards the edge of the table, near a few sixth year students. They smile at her, but she doesn't give much in response. She looks down towards her plate as in deep thought. She quickly looks down the table again, and a sixth year starts to make conversation with her.

I turn back around to face the table and shrug. I'll have to ask her about it once the meal is over. For the next half hour, I'll be listening to Cedric and Rosa laugh while Eve stays quiet, avoiding their bubbly energy.

After the great hall clears, I make my way to the Slytherin table. I smile at Opal, and she runs up to me, giving me another hug. Although she's returning a happy face, her big, green eyes say it all.

"What's bothering you?" I ask, softly.

"Nothing," she says. Her tone tells a different story. She looks to the ground, and I laugh.

"You only look away from me when you're nervous. What's up? We're you looking for someone at your table?"

She shrugs. "I mentioned a boy I met while visiting congress. His family knew my mom."

I nod, remembering the letter.

"He was so excited when he found out we were moving, and yet he was looking the other way today."

I shrug, silently thinking of all of the people it could be. I make a mental note to bring it up another time, when she isn't so down.

"It'll be fine," I smile. "I'm sure you'll get the chance—"

"Sorry to interrupt, ladies."

At the sound of my father's voice, Opal and I both turn. A similar, stern expression is on our faces. I guess she did read the letter after all, and feels similarly about my father's actions over the past month. I try not to show my joy at her sudden sneer.

"But as Opal's head of house, I'm afraid I'll have to show her to her dormitory."

I give Opal one last smile, not acknowledging my father. As they leave, I notice Auggie sitting at his table, looking over both shoulders for professor Flitwick. I smile, walking over towards him.

I quickly run and give him a hug from behind. His tense shoulders loosen, and he turns to face me, returning the embrace. I sit next to him, and grab his shaking hand on the table.

"I'm so proud of you," I grin. "Don't let your mom's expectations get to your head."

He gives me a soft smile and squeezes my hand. "You always seem to know what's bothering me."

I laugh, looking into his bright brown eyes. His blonde hair is more yellow compared to his sisters. His jawline is sharp, but his cheeks are still full. "I'm your big sister, of course I do."

His smile fades, and something in his face changes. "I'm just confused on why—"

"Madam Prince!" A high pitched voice squeals.

We turn, and professor Flitwick is running towards us as fast as he can. His shorter legs take him a long way. As he runs, his glasses slip down his nose.

"You should be in your common room," he says, quickly. "Auggie, follow me please."

"Hold that thought till morning," I whisper. With one last grin, I leave the great hall. Auggie has always been an over thinker. My smile doesn't leave my face. The pure joy and love those twins give me is absolutely insane.

A/N: Two things.

1. I've been listening to London boy and champagne problems on repeat by Taylor swift. Same with a boy named Pluto by Hailey Knox.

2. Would you read a realistic fiction story by me? I'm starting to write the first draft of one, and I'm really excited. I'm not going to post about it again until the second draft is finished.

Just curious.

Have a wonderful day/night!