twelve

TW: Sexual assault and potential drugging.

"As much as I hate you right now," Evangeline says. A small smile is lingering on her face. "I'll probably be up when you get back."

"Thanks, Eve," I say, putting my necklace on. I fiddle with the silver thing, trying to make it look right. I glance in the mirror, flattening out my dress. I catch a glimpse of my gold ring, and slide my necklace off. I replace it with a gold chain that has a simple pendant in the center. I look at myself again, and I can't help but feel unsatisfied. I take out my ponytail, even though I spent a half hour on it. I brush through my tangles with my fingers, then glance at the clock.

"I'll definitely be asleep so tell me in the morning," Layla states, her nose buried in a book.

I quickly dart out of the common room and up four flights of stairs. A group of students are huddled around the entrance of the Gryffindor common room. They're all wearing annoyed expressions. The fat lady is sitting in her portrait, a smug smile is on her face. I look around the hallway, hoping to spot a Gryffindor. I look up, and notice a silvery figure.

"Nick!" I call out, trying to get the ghosts attention.

The ghost turns, and looks around. I call his name once more and he greets me with a warm, welcoming look. "May I help you...?"

I smile, trying to look as friendly as possible. "I'm Claudia Prince, a fifth year Hufflepuff. Do you know Fred and George Weasley?"

Nick nods, "Nice boys, sometimes rather mischievous, but very pleasant indeed."

"Well," I say, "We were planning to meet up but it seems I've forgotten the password. Do you know what it is?"

Nicks smile turns into a defined frown "No student not in Gryffindor--"

He's cut off by a series of loud banging. A short, stocky ghost pops up behind Nick, giving him quite a fright. The ghost grins ear to ear, a certain playfulness is in his eyes. "Gred and Feorge?"

I chuckle and nod. "Yes, I'm meeting them at nine thirty and--"

The ghost rubs his hands together, and sticks his tongue out at Nick. He glides closer to me before quickly yelling "Flibbertigibbet!"

He runs up the stairs, and Nick lets out a howl. He chases after the little ghost, yelling rather loudly. I quickly return to the common room before Nick can come back.

The small crowd has a few familiar faces. One girl with a thick accent, and sleek black hair is arguing with the fat lady, trying to gain entry for the group of four or five. The painting notices me join the group, and she stops talking. With a pompous grin, she says, "password?"

I match her smile. "Flibbertigibbet."

"What-- I--" she stammers, giving me a surprised look.

"Just let us in already," the argumentative Ravenclaw says. The fat lady's painting swings open, and the group of us crawl through the portrait hole.

It's overwhelmingly loud. People are chatting, singing, and music is playing loudly from one of the corners. The common room is full of people standing shoulder to shoulder, and the room overall is packed. The dark, red couches and arm chairs are on the left side of the common room.

The first person I see is Oliver Wood, the Gryffindor quidditch captain. To my surprise, he was looking back at me. I smile weakly, but all I get is a venomous look.

"Who's this Hufflepuff?" He spits.

Cedric's face appears over Oliver's shoulder. He gives me a warm smile. "Claudia prince, fifth year."