Barrier

Ugly?

Ugly?

Ugly?

Rin kicked a rock with her feet, making it roll on the ground. She winced at the pain biting her afterward. "Ouch!" She complained, but the pain on her limb was nothing compared to her broken ego. 

No one has ever called Rin ugly before. She has always pride herself to be fairly attractive. Heartshaped face, long dark hair, small lips and elegant eyes. Her mother always sang songs of her fairness before putting her to sleep. 

Your face will bring you good luck one day, my child, don't you forget that.

Yeah right! It brought her nothing but bad luck. Rin attracted no one but a cursed TENGU slowly turning into a beast. She scowled at the thought of Jiro and kicked another poor rock beneath her feet. He's too arrogant, too immature whom she wants nothing more than to distance herself from.

That man scared me to eating spirit world food. He should be the one in jail!

She huffed and looked distantly to the vast greenery beyond feeling helpless and trapped. She wondered if she was to make another attempt of escape? What kind of magic would unfold to prevent her from leaving. 

She entertained the thought daring a curious step forward.

When nothing happened, she climbed the bars of gate to get to the other side. That's when something else grabbed her attention. 

Hays and straws flicked and danced in out of view, swayed by the passing breeze. They were definitely out of place, she thought. Hays doesn't grow in this part of the village.

She cast another curious gaze at the dancing straws mesmerized and enchanted by it. It seemed to have captured her and held her hostage. Rin couldn't peel her eyes away.

Rin stared at it for a minute long when a realization hit her. It just dawned on her she's watching spirit. A white mask surfaced into her view decorated with elegant drawings of eyes nose and mouth on the surface.

The spirit stood still as though it was waiting to be let in.

Rin thought oddly of it. She has always thought Jiro's castle is always open to his people. Then why would this one hesitate to come?

"Hi there!" Rin greeted cautiously, she closed her distance with calculated steps until she's comfortably within reach.

The spirit stared at her in silence; no sound uttered from its closed lip, through the waving gesture of its hand alarmed Rin it understood what she said.

"What are you doing here?" Rin spoke gently, afraid to frighten the strange spirit. "Are you looking for someone?"

The spirit shook its head, straws and hays swaying with its movement. 

"Then what can I do for you?" She persisted. "The is the castle of Lord Jiro, the leader and protector of this village. Do you wish to see him?"

The spirit gazed up at the towering red palace with a lift of its chin.

Rin joined the spirit as she surveyed the castle above. She pictured Jiro perched on top with his wings spanned its massive length, and wondered whether Jiro used to scale the sky above before he turned into a sour man he is now.

Perhaps not. Jiro is all grouch that it's hard for Rin to imagine Jiro having fun.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Remarked Rin, especially with all the large trees surrounding it.

She allowed herself to linger for a moment, her gaze casting high into the sky that by the time her eyes stung from dryness, and her neck strained from the heaviness of her head, the spirit was no longer there.

What a strange spirit, she thought.

Rin then decided it was time for her to come home. She started to turn to pace her way back to the manor when an invisible shield prevented her from crossing.

Rin was prompted to step back, bewildered. This has never happened before.

She lifted her hand testing the space before her. She felt nothing and saw nothing.

Must be her imagination then.

Rin issued another step forward when a wall barred her again. She staggered a step back and forced her way forward when a sting of magic sent ripples of pain on her hand.

She narrowed her eyes before her. The sting was not too painful but it was enough to make her hesitate.

Rin pulled herself together before forcing through the barrier again. This time, the magic blew her a few notches back.

Jiro's magic stung her skin, ripples of electricity, traveled her veins.

"Ouch! It hurts!" She winced at the pain but found the courage for another try. For someone so stubborn, it sure takes Rin a long time to learn.

Rin planted her feet on the solid ground and launched herself forward. Her attempt has been unsuccessful, the magical wall rejected her, the force of the magic exploded on her chest and sent her further than last time.

Rin wobbled unsteady, the effect of the blast pinned her back on the ground. She tried to pick herself off again, but the impact had been too strong that her head swam and the world spun. Darkness knocked before her eyes and folded upon her. Rin was knocked out unconscious outside of the red castle.