Feathers

It was a nice shade of sky blue kinomo this time, speckles or white petals patterned like snowflakes during the coldest winter season. The kimono is a lot more extrevagant than the last two and Rin wondered how many more exquisite kimonos has Jiro hidden in the manor?

Has he had them hidden here all this time?

The faceless servant came out of the shadow, startling Rin where she stood. Goosebumps sprouted out of her skin. She winced at the yokai, she'll have to get used to him somehow. There's no reason getting a minor heart attack each time he shows up. "You scared me, Kaonashi."

Kaonashi sunk his head into an apologetic bow and figetted. "Sorry about that mistress, I forget you were once human."

Once?

The word echoed darkly in her head. Rin did not like the sound of it.

"Master Jiro has an entire room full of extravagant clothing in the manor." Kaonashi admitted lifting his head soon after. "He had them for when the right woman comes along."

Rin's heart leaped to her troat and swallowed it back down, butterflies in her stomach came alive tickling her. "What do you mean when the right woman?"

Jiro hasn't mentioned anything. Has he manipulated her into staying in the spirit world so she could fall in love with him?

"Master Jiro is very sick mistress, one of these days he's going to turn into a real monster and there'll be no saving him then. He won't remember who he is and he'll be like that for the rest of his life until someone kills him." Kaonashi stepped an inch closer closing in his distance. He bent over to pick up the dress for her. "So, please understand, it would really benefit all of us if you were to wear this for him."

*****

When Rin stepped out of the room and down the stairs, Jiro was already mounted on his usual seat. His eyes a mask of blankness and boredom instead of their usual intensity.

Rin glided her eyes on him when heap of unforseen disappointment ravaged her. She expected to see the same Jiro she'd seen only a day ago, the handsome tengu absent of the mask of feathers hiding his skin, but he appeared to be covered with more feathers, darker and thicker than they had ever been.

She rushed down the stairs, her foot almost slipped off balance rushing, and took her seat across from him. Rin darted a curious gaze at Jiro, too upset and too anxious to hide her fret. "What happened? You looked more like demon now that you'd ever been."

"Thank you." Said Jiro with a grimace. Being called a monster must be a compliment in the human world."

"I'm serious!"

Jiro summoned calmness to his side before their usual spark of argument ignite first thing this morning. "If you make up your mind how you feel about me, then my looks will be more stable."

He picked up his chopsticks and poked at his grilled eel for breakfast.

What does he mean by that? Rin wondered.

"Does it has something to do with your mood somehow?" She inquired, curiosity has steady leach on her.

"Your mood actually, not mine." He picked up a small bite and guided it into his shapely mouth and savored the flavor chewing the piece slowly. Rin watched him with fascination as he did so. "It's from a combination of a lot of things. If I have control of my sickness, I would have been cured a long time ago." He winked at Rin, a slight edge of sarcasm rode the tip of her voice.

Rin leaned away. "So, you think forcing a woman to stay at your manor hoping she'll fall in love with you is going to cure your illness?" She snapped just as arrogant and sarcastic as Jiro was.

That struck a nerve somehow.

Jiro's eyes widened, his single dark brow rose. Amused shaded his face, he started to chuckle loudly unable to help himself.

Rin glared at him, in her short time at his manor, Jiro has been an expert of stoking her fury. She crossed her arms and waited with the same weighing amusement in her eyes. She doesn't know what struck him so funny. "What's so funny?" She demanded.

"You?!" Jiro pointed a finger at her. "You ugly human girl! What made you think I would chose you to fall in love with?"