82. Memories of the Future

AUTHOR'S POV:

A bird was flying above Singhansina in a circle.
.

In a house, two babies with brown hair and green eyes were just crawling on the crib.

Grisha picked up both of them in his arms and cradles them while Carla was looking at him with a smile.

Baby Eren began to cry so Carla took Eren from Grisha and embraced him and baby Eren stopped crying.
.

Behind them, Zeke and Eren were looking at them.

"These are... Dad's memories." Eren said.

"He sure looks happy." Zeke said.
.

Grisha handed Faye to Carla and cradles Eren, who giggled a bit.
.

Eren just stared at them with a small smile on his face.

"For someone who cast his previous family and friends into hell, that is." Zeke said.

"Why show me this?" Eren asked.

"So that you understand: How Grisha Yeager brainwashed and planted the seeds of nationalism in you and Faye." Zeke replied. "I'll show you as much as it takes."
.

Grisha patted baby Eren's head and he fell asleep in his arms while Faye was sleeping in Carla's arms.
.

Eren stared at his mother with a small smile on his face.

Zeke walked up to the door and opened it. He turned to Grisha. "Must be nice, Grisha..." Eren turned to Zeke. "Here, you can leave out a happy life without anyone to chastise you for forgetting your first family..." Eren looked back at his parents. "Even if you forget about the son you already had." Zeke left the room. "let's go."
.

Carla and Grisha were looking at their children's sleeping face with a smile.
.

Eren walked up to the door and stopped. He glanced at them one last time with a sad smile.
.
.

Two years old Eren and Faye were slowly chasing a blue butterfly with curiosity outside their house.

The butterfly flew away and Eren and Faye walked up to Grisha who picked them up with a smile.
.

Eren and Zeke were looking at him from afar.

Zeke turned around and started walking away. "Next one."
.
.

After treating a higher up, Grisha was chatting with him with a nervous expression.
.

Eren and Zeke were looking at Grisha through the window.

"Look, Eren. This is the true him." Zeke said. "He used his job as a doctor to get close to those in power to hunt down the King and steal the Founding Titan." Eren looked at him. "If he slipped up. his wife and children would suffer. But he continued nevertheless. Do you know why?"

Eren turned to Grisha who was still talking with the higher up. "Because he's an asshole who'd toss his family into a ditch to restore Eldia. I get it now. I was wrong. I never should've been born nor do Faye." He looked at Zeke. "I'm no longer brainwashed."

Zeke was looking at him with wide eyes and opened mouth. "We have all the time in the world. No need to rush." He walked away.

Eren just stared at him.
.
.

Grisha, Carla, Faye and Eren were at a dining table.

Eren was poking his food with a spoon while Faye was being fed by Carla.

Grisha was looking at them with a big smile.
.

Eren and Zeke was standing at the stairs, looking at them.
.
.