65. The Door of Hope

AUTHOR'S POV:

.
.
.

A young Reiner was laying in bed and his mother was sitting on his bed beside him.

"We were abandoned." Katrina said while stroking Reiner's forehead. "That's why we live in a camp surrounded by walls. Because the blood of devils runs through us. That's also why your father isn't here. Your father... is a Marleyan." Reiner looked at her with wide eyes. "He can't be with us Eldians." She hide her eyes behind her hand. "If only we were Marleyan."
.
.
.

Reiner was laying in his old bed, looking at the ceiling. 'Oh yeah... Back then, I strove to be a Warrior so we could be Marleyans.'
.
.
.

It's a rainy day, a young Reiner was running with a heavy bag and a rifle, panting heavily.
.

Magath was yelling at the Warrior candidates, while he was sitting on a horse. "Who said you could walk? Run, you filthy seed of swine! Don't you wanna be Honorary Marleyans?!"
.

A young Zeke was talking to the other Warrior candidates: Marcel, Porco, Reiner, Bertolt, Annie and Pieck.

"Did you guys hear? We're attacking Paradis Island in just a few years." Zeke said.

"Huh?" Porco asked.

"It's almost time for us to inherit Titans." Zeke said and threw his apple to Marcel, who took a bite. "Out of the seven of us, they're picking six!"

Marcel handed the apple to Porco.

"Yes!" Reiner said excited. "I can finally be Marleyan!"

"Huh? Why so excited? If anyone's the worst it's you." Porco said and took a bite of the apple.

Reiner turned to him. "Excuse me?!" He glared at him.

"What's your strong point?" Porco asked.

"Huh?" Reiner asked.

"Your strength? Your brains? Your aim? Combat ability?" Porco asked.
.

Annie turned her attention to the ground, not listening anymore.
.

Reiner gritted his teeth, while Porco continued. "Nope. The only value they see in you is your loyalty to Marley. 'I'll slaughter the island devils real good for you, sir!'" He mocked him.

Reiner grabbed his wrist and the apple fell to the ground. "You making fun of our mission?!" His glare deepend. "Or maybe you're a stray Restorationis?!"

"Huh?!" Porco said.

"You are, aren't you?! I'll report you to the commander!" Reiner said.

"Report this, you little shit!" Porco said and punched Reiner in the face and Reiner fell to the ground on his stomach. "You want some more?"

Marcel intervened and held Porco by his shoulders. "Porco, enough!"

"Hating the island doesn't make you special!" Porco continued. "Have fun waiting 13 years alone!" It was silent for a moment. "Tsk!" Porco walked away.

"Porco!" Marcel called after him.
.

"Let's go, Pieck." Zeke said to her. He walked away with her, while he said to Reiner. "Don't cry too long or the commander will chew me out."
.

Reiner was sobbing.

"Reiner, I'm sorry." Marcel apologized and walked away.

"Stand up, Reiner." Bertolt said and helped him to stand. "C'mon."

"I'm gonna become a Marleyan and live with my mom and dad. I can't wait 13 years. But it's like he said. I'm the worst." Reiner said.

"Porco doesn't make the decision." Bertolt said. "Besides, loyalty is important. Right, Annie?" He turned to her.