21. Forest of Giant Trees

AUTHOR'S POV:

Faye was standing on a rock, whistling to signal her horse to come. Reiner was treating Armin's wound.

"How's your 3D maneuver gear looking, Armin?" Reiner asked.

"It's fine." Armin replied. "The clasp released like it was supposed to, so it seems it's not broken."

"I see," Reiner said, unrolling a bandage. "I'm glad to hear it. But what do we do?" He looked over at Faye, who was still whistling loudly. "We only have one horse. If Faye's horse comes back, the three of us can move, but..."

'We can't stay here any longer.' Faye glanced at Reiner's horse. 'May be mine is far away from here... I have to stay behind I guess...'

Armin was staring at the ground, silent, remembering laying on the ground with wide eyes when the Female Titan was looking at him, creepily.

"Armin... Hey, Armin!" Reiner's voice snapped him out of his stupor. "You still dizzy?"

"Yeah, my head's still a bit fuzzy."

"I see." Reiner said, standing up. "But we must decide. It's a hard choice, but someone will have to stay behind."

Faye stopped whistling and looked at them. Before she could say anything, Armin spoke up.

"Wait!" Armin said, standing up. "First, let's fire a smoke round. If the formation continued straight ahead, the 4th row's 3rd team should be nearby."

He then shot a purple flare.

"That's the signal for an emergency." Faye said. "But I doubt anyone will understand our intentions just from that."

"Armin, we can wait another three minutes. By then, we must decide-" Reiner was interrupted.

"I'll stay." Armin replied firmly, taking Reiner and Faye by surprise. "But there's something I want you to tell them for me. Preferably to Commander Erwin alone."

"But-" Faye was interrupted.

"No, Armin. You should tell him yourself." Reiner said, looking at the distance.

Faye and Armin followed his gaze.

"Looks like someone's coming." Faye said with a hopeful expression. "And with a extra horse too."

"That's Christa!" Armin said.

Soon, Christa met approached them.

"Are everyone okay?" Christa asked with concern.

"Oh, It's my horse." Faye said, walking towards it.

"He ran toward me, terrified. Did you engage the Titans?" Christa asked then turned to Armin. "Armin, what happened to you? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think so." Armin replied.

"I can't believe that smoke round brought you here." Reiner said.

"I was nearby and I already had Faye's horse."

"Even horses like you. You're an extremely nice person. You saved our lives." Reiner complemented.

"But I'm so glad that the worst didn't happen to you." Christa said, wiping her eyes. "I really am glad you're alive and well." she smiled at them.

'God...' Armin thought.

'She must be a goddess in disguise...' Faye thought.

'I want to marry her.' Reiner decided.

"Well, we should rejoin the formation as soon as possible." Christa said.

"Yeah." Faye said. "There should be orders to retreat."