77. Sole Salvation

Start from the beginning

"Great." Grisha said and turned around. "Now you have more time to study." He turned back to his work.

Zeke's facial expression changed to a gloomy look. "Yeah..."
.
.

Grisha was teaching Zeke another version of the same history, holding the same book his father was holding.

Dina was washing the dishes in the background.

"So the Tragedy of Lago never actually happened." Grisha said. "The Disaster of Monte and the Calamity of Valle, too. They're fabrications. Marleyan propaganda. Eldians never had such a barbaric culture, and above all-"

"The Founder Ymir would never want something like that. It's unimaginable." Zeke said with furrowed eyebrows.

"Exactly." Grisha said with a smile. He stood up and bent forward and patted Zeke's head. "Now you're getting it, Zeke."

Zeke smiled and closed his eyes.
.
.

Magath was scolding Zeke in front of his classmates while Zeke had his head down in shame.

"If you can't take this seriously, then go home!" Magath said. "Marley needs soldiers who are prepared to sacrifice everything for the fatherland." He looked up. "We'll never give one of our country's Titans to an Eldian of your caliber!"
.
.

Later that day, Zeke was returning home with a defeated look.

He stopped walking once a baseball ball fell before him.

"Hey! You there!" Tom called out, wearing a baseball gloves, waving at Zeke. Zeke looked at him. "Can you throw me that ball?"

Zeke picked the ball up and threw it at Tom who caught it with his left hand.

Tom laughed a little. "Wow. That was a preety good throw, kid."

"Eh?" Zeke said, pointing at him.

Tom slowly throw the ball at him. "Here."

Zeke caught it with both hands, jumping a bit.

Tom laughed a little again. "Nice catch. I'm getting tired of playing with the wall." He brought his hand to his chest. "Mind keeping me company for a little while?"

Zeke noticed his red Eldian arm bands and jumped up a little. "A red armband. You're a-"

"One of those Marleyan warriors you kids are trying to become." Tom said and put his hand on his head. "Although, since my Beast Titan isn't very useful for war, I spend my time messing around out here." He removed his hand. "Tom Ksavar. I am a titan researcher." He brought his hand up. "Now, what's your name?"

Zeke gasped and prepared to throw the ball. "Zeke Yeager." He threw the ball.

Tom caught it. "Wow! Zeke, you've got a good arm on you."

Zeke looked at him with surprise.

"I bet you could be a good pitcher." Tom complimented.

Zeke just stared at him.
.
.

Zeke ran back to his home at night with a smile.
.

He opened the door. "I am home!" He entered to an empty and dark house. "Dad, guess what-"
.

"That wasn't the plan!" Grice yelled from another room.
.

Zeke turned to the direction and started approaching it.

He peaked thought the small gap between door and looked inside.
.

"What are you saying, Grice?" Grisha asked, standing before Grice. "If we can't make Zeke a warrior, our plan goes up in smoke!"