77. Sole Salvation

Start from the beginning

"Mom, Dad, can you look after Zeke again?" Grisha asked, standing before his parents.

"Sure." Mr. Yeager said.
.

Zeke ran inside and hugged his grandmother.

"I baked pie tonight. I know it's your favorite." Mrs. Yeager said with a smile.

"Yay!" Zeke said happily.
.

"'Ballroom dance club' I swear. You are leaving the poor boy all along." Mr. Yeager said.

"I'm just trying to do what's best for Liberio." Grisha said.
.

Zeke looked back at them.
.

"Zeke will understand how important our work is when he's older." Dina said.
.
.

Mr. Yeager was teaching the history of Eldians to Zeke, sitting infront of him.

A book with drawing of titans approaching a port was placed on the table.

"This is the Tragedy of Lago, from 1200 years ago." Mr. Yeager said. "The great city of Lago was wiped off the map on that day and the Titans advanced onward to cause the Disaster of Monte and the Calamity of Valle, taking hundreds of thousands of Marleyan lives in the name of the Eldian Empire." He turned another page. "Those who managed to escape Lago ended up wandering the endless wastes. But the Eldian Empire had stationed Titans in their escape routes and when the Titans awoke at dawn, the Marleyans-"

"I know. Lot's of people died. Right?" Zeke said, cutting him off.

Mrs. Yeager put her hands on his shoulder.

"Huh? Has your father been teaching you the proper history?" Mr. Yeager asked.

"Eldians have done horrible things to Marleyans, so now we have to atone." Zeke said in a sad tone.

"Zeke, do you want to be a warrior and fight for Marley?" Mr. Yeager asked.

Zeke looked away. "Yeah. Of course I want to."

Mr. Yeager shared a look with his wife and turned to Zeke. "Good. Now let's call it a day." He closed the book.

"I know. How about we read that book about the cat's house next?" Mrs. Yeager asked.

Zeke turned to him with a smile. "Yeah."

Mr. Yeagar and Mrs. Yeager stood up and walked away.

Zeke stood up and glanced at his right to see a picture of kid Grisha and Faye.
.
.

It was the next day.

The candidates were training to learn about how to assemble a rifle.
.

Zeke was struggling to assemble the rifle.

He gasped as a part of it slipped from his hand. He kneeled down to pick it up but stopped when it fell near Magath's legs who was looking down at him.
.
.

Zeke was heading home with his bag, looking down, defeated.

He came to a stop when he noticed a ball bounced off a wall, in front of him.

He looked at the direction to see a father son duo playing with a ball.
.

"Wow Dad. You suck." The child said, bringing the ball to his father.
.

Zeke watched with opened mouth as the father patted his son's head with a smile.
.
.

Grisha was in his room, reading from a book.

Zeke knocked on his door. "Dad!"

"Zeke?" Grisha said, not looking back.

Zeke opened the door with a hopeful expression. "Training ended early today. So-"