75. Children of the Forest

Start from the beginning

"I know! What a total bumpkin!"

"N-No!" Gabi replied, a bit flustered. She then leaned over to Kaya. "Kaya! Does a Marleyan captive really work here?"

"It's true, so get a grip. Soldiers use this place, too." Kaya whispered back.

"It'll be good to know another Marleyan." Falco said to Gabi in a hushed tone.

"Mr. Braus! Thank you for coming!" Nicolo said, coming up to them.

"Thanks a bunch for the invite!" Artur said with a smile. Then he looked around. "M' daughter haven' arrived yet?"

"She will come shortly. Don't worry, Mr. Braus." Nicolo said and looked at the children. "Oh, my. You sure brought a crowd."

The Braus family walked in.

"Since it's on the house, I brought the whole gang. Sorry." Artur said.

The entire group was smiling, Gabi and Falco included but the sweat on their faces showed their nervousness.

"It's fine. Welcome, everyone. This way, please." Nicolo said and motioned to a table as the family went to sit.

"I'm starving, dad!"

"You and me both!"

"We skipped breakfast for this!"

Kaya went over to Gabi and Falco, placing her hand on Gabi's shoulder. "That's Nicolo, the Marleyan who invited Mr. Braus. See if he can help you."

"Mr. Braus isn't a soldier, so why was he invited?" Gabi asked.

"His daughter was the girl soldier who saved me." Kaya explained. "She was shot in her shoulder so she was in the infirmary. Nicolo met her there and purpose the idea to treat her parents. But personally, I think they are in love."

Falco gasped slightly at the realisation.

"Ben?" Artur asked. "What's wrong Tummy ache?"

"Uh, no!" Falco said.
.
.

The Braus family started eating.

Falco slowly tried the food while all the others are eagerly digging in, Gabi included.

"Delicious! I've never had anything this good!" Falco declared.
.

Nicolo was working in the kitchen. "Just wait till you've had the main dish!"

"Nicolo, you've got guests." A sever told him as he walked in carrying stacked plates.

"Huh? Who is it now?" Nicolo said.

"The Scouts." The server said.

Nicolo walked out to greet them. "You guys? What, is it urgent? My hands are full with some customers." He turned to Sasha. "And Sasha, your family has arrived already.

"Uh, you can get back to work if you want." Hange said as she raised her hands up. "It's just, we'd like to talk once you're done."

"Talk? About what?" Nicolo asked.

"Oh, you know. Like any concerns you have." Hange said.

Onyankopon then stepped forward. "They're investigating our detainment. We're hoping you can help."

"Yeah, all right." Nicolo responded with a serious look on his face. He led them to an empty dining room. "You can wait here."

"I will come shortly, Nicolo." Sasha said.

"Oh? What a fancy room." Hange said.

"I bet it's reserved for MPs." Connie said.

"Huh? Is this the wine all the soldiers are gossiping about?!" Jean asked as he picked a bottle up. "They say only higher ranks can get it!"