My body relaxed slightly, but I still had no idea why I was here. Had Loki caught Fiske while he was having his way with me?

"What happened?" I asked suspiciously, although I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer.

Loki gazed at me for a few seconds, his expression troubled, before finally tilting his head to the side gently, "What do you remember?"

I frowned and stared out of the large window with unseeing eyes. I remembered the library, and Fiske's appearance, but after that the memories were too hazy to fix down.

"I don't - I remember the library," I started slowly, not having the courage to look at him, "And then he showed up. He was so angry. He slapped me, and I hit my head." My hand rose to touch my forehead again, and I felt the dry, crusted blood there. Suddenly, the final images of the night came back to me; Loki saving me. I turned my head to look at him, my eyes awestruck, "And then you came."

Relief flooded through me, Loki had arrived just in time, and had no idea that Fiske had been doing this for months. For all he knew, Fiske had simply had too much to drink and thought he could have some fun with me while everyone else was preoccupied at the ball.

Loki sighed and ran a hand through his hair again, "Just in time by the looks of it. It sickens me to think of what might have happened had I got there any later."

His eyes hardened and he clenched his fist in his hair, his body tensing with agitation. I swallowed heavily, glancing away so that he couldn't see the guilt in my eyes.

"As do I." I replied quietly.

Shaking his head slightly, Loki turned back to me with hard eyes, "Alva, you promised you'd wait for me."

I sighed, nodding, "I know."

He squeezed my hand, "Then why didn't you? This might have been avoided if you'd just done as I asked."

I knew that his words shouldn't have angered me, he was right after all, but they did, and I scowled at him, pulling my hand from his.

"It wouldn't have made a difference." I hissed, "Yes, perhaps I would have been safe last night but what about tomorrow? Or next week? I can't keep hiding forever." My voice was small and panicked by the time I finished, tears pooling in my eyes.

Loki frowned and blinked in confusion, "What are you talking about?"

I shook my head quickly, wiping my eyes harshly and glancing out of the window again, "Nothing. How long was I asleep?"

He sighed and leaned back on his heels, "A while, it'll be dawn soon."

My eyes widened, "Dawn? Oh no, I have to get bathed and dressed, Thor will be expecting me soon."

As the words frantically tumbled out, I stood up too suddenly and the blood rushed from my head, the room spinning around me. I felt myself sway on my feet but before I could faint again, Loki's arms wrapped tightly around my waist to support me, and my body involuntarily leaned against his as he gingerly helped my to sit again.

"You're not going anywhere in this state, you can barely stand." He ordered, sitting on the sofa beside me.

I shook my head adamantly, moving to stand again, although I was still feeling light headed, "No, I need to see to my duties."

Loki put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me down again, "Thor can live without you for one day."

I sighed in frustration and turned to look at him, "Loki, I'm fine, please."

His eyes hardened, "Will you stop being so stubborn and let me help you? You need to get your strength back before you do anything."

His harsh tone stopped me in my tracks, and I knew that he wouldn't let me go anywhere.