Chapter 22 - Winner Take All

Daytime

Titans Tower

A pile of cards are on a table, with each showing a natural element: lightning, moon, and so forth. A card of a tree is on top of this pile.

Raven tosses her card over it. "Fire beats Wood."

'Where's Terra? Isn't she joining us?' Venom wondered. 'She said she was going out for a while. Sounded important.' You answered the symbiote's thoughts before throwing down your card on top of Raven's. "Water beats Fire."

Beast Boy goes next. "Sun dries up Water."

Robin follows after. "And Thunderstorm blocks out Sun."

You and the rest of the Titans are playing a card game around the coffee table in the operations center. The card pile sits in its center.

"I'm out." Said Raven.

"Same here." You remarked.

"Me too." Beast Boy waved his free hands.

"I wish to... go the fish?" Starfire asked as you, Raven, and Beast Boy lean over to check her cards.

"Uh, you want to fold, Starfire." The green Titan suggested.

"Fold? That is good? I am victorious?"

You and the other two shake your heads with Beast Boy's ears drooping. As you, Raven, and Beast Boy lean away, a small drop of sweat pops out on Starfire's temple and a very uneasy look comes over her face. Finally, she lays her cards face down on the table and hangs her head.

"Sorry, Star." Robin stands and reaches to sweep up the cards. "I guess I'm just... invincible!"

Cyborg reaches into view and stops him. "Ah, ah, ah. How can you be invincible if I've still got one card?" He holds it up, faced toward himself as Robin grimaces and lowers his brows. "Come on, Robin. You know you want to play me for it. One last round, winner take all."

"You're on, Cyborg, and you're going down!" He sits and picks up his cards, scrutinizing them as if he was playing five-card draw with his life savings in the pot.

One eyebrow pops up and down behind the hand. He glares across the table at Cyborg, who flicks that single card teasingly back and forth. The two stare each other down for a few seconds before Robin makes his play. The card he throws down show a funnel cloud.

He leans back confidently in his chair. "Tornado! Beat that!"

The four spectators jam their faces toward the table's center, all eight eyes bulging in surprise. "Ooooh!" You and the other three uttered in unison.

Cyborg has his best poker face firmly established, but he breaks the stoicism with a casual shrug. "Well, okay." He raises his one card while having one foot propped on the table, and he slaps it down. "Boo-yah!" When he removes his hand, the card's face is revealed as a flaming meteor.

You, Starfire, and Raven gasp with your eyes popping even wider.

Robin leans over the table. "Meteor?!?"

Beast Boy's eyes shine and tear up. "The one-in-a-million wild card that beats all others!" He wipes his eyes. "Ohhh... it's too beautiful for words." He leans back with a happy moan.

"Aw, yeah, baby!" Cyborg rakes in his cards. "Who's invincible now?"

Robin is positively steaming at this super-trump play.

Starfire tries to console him. "Be proud and cheerful, Robin. You competed well."

"Winning isn't everything." Raven added.