Chapter 17 - Only Human

Day

Titans Tower

The sound of blows landing can be heard within the exterior of the Titans' home from above roof level. You and Robin are sparring in the gym. As the spiky-haired Titan attacks you, Starfire flies past, followed by a barrage of lasers and several small flying spheres. Flipping onto her back, she throws a handful of starbolts and turns one after another into scrap metal. She stops in midair to look back at one explosion, only to find three more spheres coming at her from that direction. She bails out.

Raven has her eyes closed. "Azarath Metrion Zinthos!" As she speaks the incantation, she levitates three long, thick poles and sends them flying toward Starfire, who weaves neatly through them. The shooters, however, crash into them head on and wipe out very badly. From here, a set of bar graphs, a human outline, and the number two next to the letters "BST BOY" is shown in a digital readout panel on a wall. At a nearby treadmill, Beast Boy is running as a turtle with the number being his speed in miles per hour. Back to the display, the digits ticks up from five to six as he turns into a bighorn sheep and starts to move faster. Now the readout quickly increases from thirty-two to thirty-eight, and he transforms into a cheetah and hits the gas.

Across the gym, a wrecked laser sphere bounces across the floor. Starfire's boots touch down in front of the treadmill, which she angles off in another direction to see what else is going on. Large metal slabs are being loaded onto an enormous sled, with Cyborg straining to hold the immense burden aloft. His forearm panel shows a reading of ninety-three percent and separate bar graphs marked R and L-power output from each side of his body and overall. It ticks up to ninety-five percent as he groans under the load, sweat pouring down his face.

"Just a... little more..." Another weight is added to the stack.

Now both you and Robin stop attacking one another, now crossing the gym to watch. "Come on, Cyborg, push!" The Boy Wonder shouted.

"What's it... look like I'm doing?" Cyborg spoke through gritted teeth.

"You got this, Cy!" You urged on. Venom appears out of the back of your shoulder, who is also cheering for the bionic man. "Go, Cyborg!"

Beast Boy, back in human form, and Raven comes over. "Punch it, Cy! Straight through the roof!"

Starfire joins them. "Yes! Inform that large mass of metal who is the boss!"

"Uh... go, Cyborg." Raven said in her usual monotone.

His voice screaming as loudly as his muscles, he puts every bit of effort he can muster into keeping the pile up. Now all the other Titans cheer at once, but his panel notches up to one hundred percent with the R and L bars indicating full power. "It's no good! Shut it down!"

"Shouldn't we help?" "Yeah, good idea." The symbiote retracts back into your shoulder as you tried to run over to the controls, but your leader held up his arm in a halting motion.

"No way, Cyborg! We won't let you quit! Come on, push!" Robin spurred on.

Cyborg shakes badly. "I can't!"

"Yes, you can!"

'He can't hold for much longer.' "No he can't, Robin!" You hop over Robin's arm and land before the struggling Titan, firing two web strands at him with quick succession. You pulled him clear of the sled as it crashes to the floor.

He glares up to find you extending a hand to get him vertical, with Beast Boy leaning into view.

He holds up a judge's scorecard with a nine on it. "I give you a nine for being rescued." He then shows a two card instead. "But a two for the landing."