Chapter 20 - Transformation

A leather-bound book, whose front cover displays the Titans' insignia, opens its first page. It shows a drawing of Earth, seen from outer space, and a kindly male voice begins to narrate.

"Long ago, on a small blue planet called Earth..." The page turns to show a flying-saucer cutout floating against the cosmos, with Starfire grinning and flashing a peace sign inside. "... there was a young girl who lived in a T." She beams and points to Titans Tower. Another page turns to reveal her smiling face. "She had many friends." The other five Titans and Venom pop around her, causing that smile to widen even more.

The page turns again, with Starfire straining to keep a flaming meteor from crushing Jump City.

"She was very powerful..."

Another page flips, showing her holding a pair of smelly magenta boxer shorts at arm's length over the washing machine while you, Robin, Raven, and Cyborg keep your distance. The underwear is decorated with various animals, straight up from Beast Boy's wardrobe, and a small panel floats up. The said green Titan is within it, wearing only a towel and shower cap, laughing his head off.

"... and very brave. And although she never thought much of it..." The page once again flips, with Starfire twirling her feet and floating gently in the soft light. "... she was also very beautiful. Her life seemed entirely perfect... until one day."

A large bump pops out on her forehead, causing her to gasp as the light returns to normal before giving way to a hysterical scream.

------

Daytime

Titans Tower

Starfire is in the bathroom, looking in the mirror. "Huh?" A tentative poke at the bump makes it shiver slightly, as if it were filled with very cold pudding.

She leans closer, pressing it against the glass, and moans worriedly. She pushes down on the growth and succeeds in flattening it. However, a relieved sigh is barely out of her mouth before it crops up again. Now, each time she tries to mash it down, it simply appears in another spot beneath her hairline. A few frantic prods put the thing out of sight, but only for a moment, as it comes right back to the center of her forehead.

Starfire groans in frustration and pokes furiously at the protuberance, which shifts all over her head as fast as she can get her finger after it, and finally jams down the spot where it first cropped up. Now it has gone, until a knock at the door draws her attention, and it swells forth and draws another groan from her.

In the hall, Beast Boy is outside the bathroom, whining and doing the classic dance favored by little kids with full bladders. "Starfire, hurry up! You've been in there for twenty minutes, and I'm not paper-trained!" He whines more, now doglike.

"One moment more, please!" She responded from inside the bathroom.

He hops slowly toward the door, which opens when he is just short of the threshold. Starfire peeks out, showing her forehead back under control, but the bump asserts itself anew and she ducks back in, slamming the door. Beast Boy rushes, but an instant too late. He slams into it face first and tumbles backward, stopping himself from hitting the floor with a leg bent backward under his body.

He staggers up and claps both hands over himself to hold it in, but the sound of flowing water draws his attention elsewhere.

Robin, outside, is seen wearing an apron decorated with a potted plant and whistling happily as he sprays a hose over some bushes.

Beast Boy groans with a sweating green face as a glass is being held under a running faucet by Cyborg. He leans into view, showing a hot, sweaty face with a towel draped around the neck. Beast Boy, whose eyebrows twitch uncontrollably now as perspiration gushes from every pore.