Chapter 3 - Final Exam

A screenful static resolves into a school crest. The field is hexagonal, black-and-white checkered within a gold border. A large H is superimposed on it in gold script and across the bottom is a white banner bearing the letters "H.A.E.Y.P." Behind the crest, a square corridor can be seen, with yellow walls, ceiling, and floor marked in a honeycomb pattern.

"The H.I.V.E. Academy for Extraordinary Young People is proud to introduce..."

A platform rises into view in front of the crest, carrying three young individuals on it.

One is a very short, bald boy in a jumpsuit with a pair of goggles that is propped on his forehead, which he also has assorted controls that are mounted at chest and waist level.

Behind him is a very tall, beefy fellow with collar-length brown hair and a small beard. His sleeveless shirt and pants are black, and studded gold bands cross his chest and run around his shoulders.

Lastly is a slim girl in an off-the-shoulder black dress trimmed with blue ruffles, black-and-blue striped stockings, and black platform boots with blue soles. Her lavender hair is bound into two large horn-like tufts that stick above her ears, her cat-like eyes are the same color, and her skin is an odd shade of bluish-pink. A small pendant hangs from a black ribbon that encircles her throat.

"...this year's top graduates."

They leap from the platform.

"Gizmo, the boy genius whose intellect can conquer any problem with an inventive solution."

He presses a button on his chest control as a pair of large metal wings sprouts from his back. He takes hold of the device at his waist and the wings respond, carrying him into the air. Lasers pop out from the wall panels and open fire against him, but he easily avoids all the shots and goes for another button. Now a small missile launcher comes up between the wings and unleashes a salvo that destroys all the guns with remarkable efficiency.

Gizmo lands on the platform that he and his classmates originally stood on, then glides away as two large robots step in from portals that open up in the walls. The girl takes his place.

"Jinx, the enchanting sorceress whose powerful hexes means bad luck for her enemies."

She extends her arms to both sides and does a three-sixty-degree twirl, throwing off a wave of energy that causes a couple of wall panels to fall away. She leaps high off the platform, and the panels crash down on the robots' heads. Two others have moved in during this sequence and met the same fate. She backflips down the corridor a short distance.

Three large laser cannons emerge from recessed panels in the floor, but the giant drops into view and bends its barrel of one of them as if it were a piece of taffy.

"And Mammoth, the genetically enhanced giant whose unstoppable strength speaks for itself."

He tears the cannon from its moorings and does an Olympic-style hammer throw to sling it away. It skids across the floor and wrecks the other two. A robot looms up behind the strongman and catches him in its huge hands.

Gizmo jumps onto its back and attaches a small unit as it screws itself down, sending up a small puff of smoke. He jumps free and sparks start to fly from the robot's head, hot-wired to put it out of action.

"Well organized, highly trained, and combat-equipped..."

Mammoth throws off the robot, which collapses, and Gizmo lands in a crouch before running off again. Jinx runs to Mammoth and springs up just before reaching him, which he catches her one foot and boosts her into a series of flips that carries her down the corridor.