Chapter 6 - Nevermore

Night

Jump City

In the night sky above the buildings of Jump City, a vehicle can be seen turned on its side in the distance. The vehicle is an armored car whose back doors have been broken open, with a figure standing on top of it. Gold bullion spills out to the pavement as a couple of Titans face off with the villain.

The bearded, helmeted male figure perched on it is clad in a skintight black outfit with a light bulb on the chest, and both hands glow very brightly. "Your pathetic skills can't outshine the brilliance of Doctor Light!" He brings his hands together, forcing the Titans to scatter as a broad beam shoots toward them.

Robin leaps high and flings a birdarang at the supervillain, who jumps down to avoid both it and the thrower's lunge.

"You're fast, but I doubt you'll enjoy moving at the speed of light!" Doctor Light touches the bulb on his chest, causing it to glow and emit a wide-angle blast that propels Robin over the roof of a nearby building.

"You know, I didn't take you as the 'Thomas Edison' type of guy." You swing by with a kick to his sternum.

Doctor Light skids across the street. "Spider-Man?!"

"The one and only!" You web zipped towards him and deliver a punch to his face.

Staggered by this attack, Doctor Light couldn't recover as you overwhelmed him with your martial art skills. He had enough though that he began to emit a bright light.

Blinded by the brightness, you were then sent flying back by Doctor Light's powered-up punch. Your body hits a vehicle, making a dent in it.

"An arachnid, such as yourself, couldn't possibly comprehend the power of light!"

Beast Boy comes around a corner and charges, turning into a wolf as he runs.

The robber easily ducks this rush. "A wolf is no threat when it's blind as a bat!" He throws several glowing globes at the green lupine hero.

They explode in a series of brilliant flashes and leave him so dazzled that he reverts to human form and claps both hands to his head woozily. The next one is Starfire, who flies overhead and throws a barrage of starbolts but Doctor Light creates a radiant shield around him to block them. He drops it after she stops firing, then throws a landmine-like device into the street. Its top opens to emit a wall of radiance that envelops Starfire and blocks her in.

"Watch yourself, lightweight." Cyborg has half of one axle in hand, tire, and all, and he moves in for a swing. "Things are about to get heavy!" He swings the axle down over his head, missing the enemy, but creating enough of a tremor upon impact to throw him back a few feet.

Doctor Light concentrates his energy in one hand and projects an intense beam that breaks the makeshift club in half. Laughing, he creates a red projectile and directs it at Cyborg, which explodes in a terrific flash and storm of dust.

The view clears to show that the Titan is now embedded in stone, with only his head and hands free. "Uh! Hey! Let me..."

Doctor Light approaches. "Now if nobody minds, I'll be taking the gold."

"I mind." Raven is in midair. "Azarath Metrion Zin–" Before she can finish the incantation, a beam connects squarely with her and sends her to the street.

Doctor Light walks up behind Raven as she starts to get up. "Bit of advice." He warms up. "Find shorter magic words."

Raven gets herself ready again. A motorcycle at the curb is levitated and slung at the light-wielding enemy, who easily blows it apart. He nails her with another blast and drives her down the block again. Now he takes his time walking up while she has her back to him.