Chapter 14 - How Long is Forever?

Titans Tower

As an alarm clock's ticking is heard, the night sky pivots about the center of the horizon, with the dark panorama rotating out of view and is replaced by the morning sun against wild blue yonder.

The alarm begins to ring with Starfire opening her sleeping eyes with a gasp, then squeezing them shut excitedly. "The day has arrived!"

She looks off to one side. Her ringing alarm clock is shaped like the Amazing Mumbo that sits on her dresser. She reaches into view to shut it off before checking her drawer, which she opens to reveal a pile of toys and party favors. She sweeps up the lot and giggles before heading to her door. The door opens and she peeks cautiously back and forth. More bubbly little laughs escape her as she zips out and starts to ease toward a corner, whisking from one wall to the other as she goes. Her armload jingles slightly. One item falls away when she ducks around the bend and out of sight, but she reaches back to pick it up.

Now she makes her way past the stairs, then to a closed door. It slides open to admit her, and she lowers her goodies to expose her beaming face. "HAPPY BLORTHOG!!" Her face quickly turns into confusion. "Huh?"

Looking into the operations center, Raven is seen sitting off to one side and reading, Robin standing before a boom box in the kitchen, and Beast Boy and Cyborg playing GameStation. But with you on the other hand, you weren't anywhere within the vicinity.

------

With you

"Spider-Man!" A malicious shout echoed.

You slowly open your eyes to find yourself standing on top of a familiar structure. You quickly look down to see yourself in your classic red and blue suit before glancing up to see the maniacal villain, standing at the edge of the bridge tower. Your lenses widen as you see him clutching Gwen in one hand, and the cable holding aloft the tram full of kids in the other.

"This is why only fools are heroes!"

You froze on the spot, knowing exactly what's going to play out.

"Because you never know when some lunatic will come along with a sadistic choice..." He shoves Gwen further out, so her feet are actually over the edge. "Let die the woman you love..." The Goblin loosens his grip on the cable, letting it slip through his hands which causes the tram to drop. The children scream as the supervillain watches with glee, tightening his grip on the cable. "... or suffer the little children."

You watch as the tram sways horribly and see the pleading faces of the children and their parents as they pound on the glass, begging for help. You glance back up to see Gwen teetering over the edge, with the Goblin's hand on her back.

"Make your choice, Spider-Man, and see how a hero is rewarded!"

You are momentarily paralyzed as the tram quivers and Gwen teeters.

"This is your doing! You caused this! This is the life you have chosen! Now, choose!" The Green Goblin let's go of Gwen and the cable at the same time, sending them to their deaths below.

------

On your bed, you were tossing and turning before shooting up with a frightening gasp. "NO!" Your face begins to sweat as you tried to catch your breath. "Why?... Why now?"

'Y/n...'

"W-What?!" You jumped out of your bed in alertness from the sudden demonic voice, glancing around your room. Despite the nightmare you just had a moment ago, you were keen on focusing where you heard the source of the said voice. 'My spider sense should've warned me...' You continue to look around while being cautious in your surroundings. "What was that?"