Chapter 16 - Terra

The sun gradually brightens against the horizon. When the view illuminates, a rocky landscape, with outcroppings on either side of a broad canyon can be seen. It is not long after sunrise. A large scorpion races toward the first bend while a young girl runs as if trying to beat the devil in the hundred-yard dash. Seen from the shoulders down, she is very thin, with spindly arms and legs, and roughly the same age as the Titans. Her clothing consists of denim shorts, a light gray long-sleeved shirt, and a dark gray crop top with black sleeves over this. Her hair is long, blonde, and straight, and she wears thick brown leather gloves and hiking boots.

She heads toward the shore of Jump City Bay and Titans Tower. A butterfly-shaped hair clip can now be seen over her right ear. She turns to look over her shoulder as the pursuer's shadow falls over her, revealing large, light blue eyes that broadcast her fear quite clearly. The scorpion has nearly closed the gap and works its mandibles in anticipation of a meal. As she charges ahead, the giant tail is lifted for a strike. It comes down inches from her and throws her off balance. She skids across the ground and rubs her head, finding that her hair clip has been knocked loose to fall nearby. As she reaches for it, that enormous stinger punches into the dirt and again just misses her. She is off and running in an instant, with the creature giving chase.

Now she swerves to avoid an outcropping, which is destroyed by a sweep of the scorpion's claws, and vaults over a lower formation to keep ahead. She runs flat out, with a dead end seen not too distant away. She stops at the wall of rock and turns to find the beast's shadow falling over her. She cowers against the sheer face as the scorpion prepares to lunge. However, it looks up instead to the edge on one side of the canyon.

Robin leaps down onto it from above as you and the other four have joined him there, with Beast Boy becoming a wolf. "Titans! Go!"

Before any of you can move, though, a tremor shakes the ground. The blonde girl, whose eyes are now glowing yellow and whose mouth has assumed a cruel smile, has her hair blow all around her. The rock beneath the Titans' feet begins to crack and shift, and one end of a natural bridge across the canyon breaks loose and is lifted into the air. The other end is pulled freely as well. The blonde raises her hands and groans with the effort as the slab goes higher and higher. Now her hands are glowing as well, which is her own particular superpower at work. Finally she brings them down, and the rock drops squarely on top of the scorpion to crush it flat. One final tail spasm and scream of pain, and the thing falls silent.

She placidly pushes the hair back from the right side of her face, where it has fallen forward due to the lost clip.

Starfire looks down from her midair viewpoint confusedly. "She was not in trouble."

"She was leading it into a trap!" Cyborg exclaimed.

"Question is..." Robin spoke.

Beast Boy takes human form, awestruck. "...Who is she?"

At a dark fissure in the side of the rock face behind them, Slade steps out and looks down at the scene. He has replaced the mask and armor that were damaged in their last encounter. "Don't get too attached, my young friend." He said to himself. "I saw her first."

The young girl brushes the dust from her gloved hands. A quick gesture, and the patch of rock she stands on has broken loose and begun to carry her up to the ledge. She does a triumphant little spin before reaching the Titans, then jumps over to them. The rock falls away.

"What? Haven't you guys ever seen a superhero before?" She questioned with cockiness in her voice.

For a few seconds, all of you are at a loss for words.

Finally Robin steps forward. "I'm Robin." He holds out his hand to shake. "We're the-"

She taps her fist against his attempted handshake. "Teen Titans! Rock on! It's cool to meet you guys. I'm Terra, and you're..." In her perspective of the group, she points from one to the next. "...Cyborg, Raven, Starfire..." She curtsied before turning to the green Titan.