8

SUNLIGHT blushes through the dilapidated windows of the railway depot, causing Karson to stir awake from her slumber

SUNLIGHT blushes through the dilapidated windows of the railway depot, causing Karson to stir awake from her slumber. For once, she feels well-rested. Karson stretches out her arms above her head and yawns the sleep out of her. Noticing she was still in her clothes from yesterday, Karson decides it is best for her to freshen up and get ready for the big day ahead. Not only it is the full moon but it's also Lydia's birthday, which Karson will be attending. Derek is adamant that she is not here when the full moon is at its peak so she doesn't really have a choice. 

On her way out of the train, Karson runs into Boyd. He has kinda been MIA for a while and from the look on his face, Karson can tell that he is nervous about tonight. 

"Hey, you doing okay?" Karson grabs his arm to halt him in his footsteps, watching as he offers a tight smile. 

"As best as I can be." Boyd responds, having trouble making eye contact with her. Karson nudges him towards the couch in order to talk to him more. As he flops down on the cushions, a heavy sigh escapes his mouth. "Maybe I'm a little nervous."

"About losing control?"

"Yeah that's definitely a factor. But, I also don't want to hurt anybody." Boyd says, fidgeting with his hands in his lap. "Derek says that the urges kinda take over...and it can be hard to overcome once you lose that control."

"I hear you. But this is what you signed up for, right?" Karson asks, tilting her head to try and make him look her in the eye. "The strength, the thrill, the power...everything has a price to pay. You have to balance out the good with the bad."

"I get that, and I don't regret my decision about accepting the bite." Boyd furrows his eyebrows in a conflicting manner.  "I just...have a temper. I've had a hard past, with a lot of negative emotions surrounding it. I just don't want to become something..someone that I don't recognize." 

"You won't. I know we haven't known each other that long but I've seen your heart, Boyd. You are full of good. And kindness. And light. You have a whole pack that has your back. You have me. You don't have to go through this alone." Karson smiles his way as she watches his shoulders relax at her words. 

"Thank you, I needed to hear that." Boyd returns a grin to the girl. She extends her arm in the air to offer him a hug which Boyd gladly accepts. "Will you be here when we turn?" 

"Unfortunately not. Your alpha won't allow it. But I'll come back as soon as it is over." Karson replies, releasing her grip on Boyd. 

"Can I ask you something?" Boyd says, to which Karson nods. 

"Why didn't you ask Derek to turn you?" 

The question catches Karson off guard a little bit. She never really thought about it...the chance of becoming a werewolf herself. Karson's mind has been consumed by protecting Issac and helping her newfound friends out in any way she can. However, she was glad Boyd asked her that question because it allowed her to finally realize how happy she was that she did not want the bite.