Chapter 20 - The Beginning

GABBY -

I stared at the stretch of woods outside the kitchen sink window, lost in my own thoughts. Jessica walked in behind me to grab a glass from the cabinet. She and my brother were in the baby's room putting together a crib for the baby. She was grumbling and I wasn't able to make out what she said. "Huh?" I asked while still in my little daze.

She looked at me with her lips in a scowl, "I said 'it's not my fault your brother can't put a simple crib together,". I giggled as she gulped a glass of water before continuing. "I told him to ask your dad for help. He always has trouble following directions but he said 'Noooooo I've got this!'. Well... he doesn't have it! Now he's taking it out on me!"

I laughed at her exaggerated pouty face before pointing out the obvious, "Why don't you just use a spell?" Jessica gave me a long look before rolling her eyes and walking away. I followed her into the living room. "He wanted us to do it together without magic, like some weird bonding exercise," she huffed as she lowered herself down slowly to the sofa. I laughed when I realized she had no intention of going back into the baby's room to help my brother with the crib. Paul picked me up from Stella's home a few days ago and took me straight to my brother's. He was so quiet and solemn that I hardly thought to question him about where he went. Tension radiated off of him like heat. I didn't know if it was because of anger towards me, Stella, or the both of us. I admit I was disappointed that he didn't fight me on going back to my brother's home. But, my pride wouldn't let me admit that I no longer wanted to leave him. Before he left me he said that he put his number in my phone. I smiled to myself when I saw his number under the name 'MATE'. He said I could call him if I ever needed him. So I called him. I made him take me all over town to do anything and everything I could think of. I just wanted to spend more time with him. I needed to be close to him. I think he felt the same way. I know we raised a few eyebrows walking together in town. But all we did was hold hands. I don't know if he knows I only have two more days left before I have to return to work. I wondered if he would be ok with me leaving to pack up my apartment before moving back.

"JESS!!" my brother's yell from the other room, making me jump. "WHAAAT?" she yelled back. I could hear him loudly shuffling down the hall. He came into the room with his arms raised and smiled "I finished it! Come and see it!". Jessica smiled sweetly as he bent down to pull her up from the sofa. I followed happily as they went to the baby's room. It was good to know that they were back on good terms. Jessica was very upset after finding out about JJ's secret partnership with Paul and his pack. Understandably, she felt betrayed by the secrets and I don't blame her.

I've spoken to my parents about their deception. My father was more remorseful than my mother. She felt justified in her use of magic and offered no apology. It hurt me that she took no responsibility for the pain caused by Paul's bullying. When I accused her of continuing to let me get hurt to cover up her secrets, she tried to change the subject. She warned me that Paul's behavior showed his true nature and ability for cruelty. Her lack of remorse hurt me deeply. I don't know what hurt me more. Does she care about me? Could she be right about Paul? I won't deny that it has put a strain on our relationship.

After a few moments of listening to Jessica act like her new crib was as amazing as the Eiffel tower, I left her and my brother alone together. I wondered how I ever thought I could live away from them. There was so much love and laughter here with my family. I started thinking of Paul. Was he thinking of me like I was constantly thinking of him? Would our short time apart allow his feelings to change again? I feared that he would wake up one day and go back to hating me.

I didn't want that to happen. I convinced myself to stop calling him. I realized I was testing him to see if he would always come when I called. I didn't need to test him. I knew he would always come. But I was weak. I needed to see him. I needed to be in his arms, feeling I was in the safest place in the world. I decided I would go to him. I would let him mark me. I wanted what my brother and Jess have. I wanted to be his. I didn't want him to change his mind. Then my phone pinged.

I looked down and saw that it was a text from Paul. He said he was coming to the house. I ran back to the bedroom. I told my brother and Jess that I was leaving with Paul and he would be here soon. I went to the guest room to pick out some clothes. I settled on some ripped jeans and a light linen sweater that hung off of the shoulder. As I examined myself in the mirror I could feel the butterflies in my stomach come alive. My heart began to race at the realization. Paul was close. I could feel it. I may not be able to read his mind but I can at least sense his presence.

I went to the front door and as soon as I opened it I could see a black truck coming up the long driveway. I didn't recognize the vehicle but I knew it had to be him. I ran towards the vehicle before it stopped.

As the shiny truck stopped, the driver's window rolled down, and Paul stuck his head out with a smile. He winked as he asked "Were you waiting for me, pretty girl?". I ran to his door and said "I knew it was you! I felt it!" He smiled widely before exiting the truck and scooping me up into his arms. I laughed as my feet were dangling off of the ground as he held me up. He lifted me up above him before lowering me gently to plant a light kiss on my lips. I felt warmth spreading throughout my body as his lips touched mine.

I buried my face into his chest, enjoying the affection. Paul kissed the top of my head before burying his face in my hair. "Are you sniffing me?" I chuckled. I felt his chest rise and fall as he inhaled deeply again he gave me a little nod and laughed. I looked up into his beautiful eyes that appeared a darker shade of green in the evening light. "Is this your truck?"

"Yeah! I thought maybe I'd take you to dinner but it might rain so..." I squealed before he could finish. I squirmed out of his arms and jumped in from the passenger side door. He hopped in beside me as I fastened my seatbelt. I tried to hide my dirty thoughts as I watched him pull his seatbelt across his muscular chest. When I finally tore my eyes away from his torso to look up at his face, he was smiling at me. He gave me a quick wink with his hand resting on my knee as he pulled out of my brother's driveway.

My cheeks flushed and I locked my knees together trapping his fingers in between. Although the look he gave me made me want to open them back up again. I turned to the window to hide my blushing as the scenery rushed past us. The warmth of Paul's hand rests right on my skin through my ripped jeans. His little squeeze to my knee pulled my attention from the window and I smiled at it. I just wanted to forget the past and enjoy this time together. I slid my hand on top of his.

The predatory gaze he gave me after looking down at my hand placement filled me with desire. He looked as carnal as I felt. Our little staring contest was only interrupted by my phone ringing. I glanced at it and saw it was from my mother so I quickly dismissed it. When I looked back at Paul, his head jerked forward to focus on the road ahead. He was no longer smiling.

"Who was that?" I could see his jaw lock in place with his lips pressed together. He tried to hide it but I could tell he was upset. I almost giggled at his apparent jealousy but I quickly put him out of his misery. "My mother," I mumbled but I am sure he heard me. "We're... not good... right now and I have been avoiding her," Paul turned to look at me. His face softened as he reached over to squeeze my knee with the hand he removed.

He took a deep breath before saying "I think I know why she's trying to reach you." He explained where he went the night he left me. He told me everything my mother said. My brow furrowed in disbelief. I looked down with the disappointing realization that I didn't feel any different. I always wanted to be a powerful witch. Still, becoming one through the mark of my mate felt like cheating. I didn't care about being powerful anymore. The only reason I wanted to be powerful was to protect myself from scary werewolf Paul. Now I didn't need to. But now I wondered why Paul hadn't marked me. Was he afraid of what I would become?

"You don't...want to ... mark me?" I said it so quietly I wasn't sure he heard it at all. Paul's head shot toward me. The flash of anger in his eyes caused a quick color change and I knew that I had offended him. It made me ashamed to meet his eyes. Almost.

He opened his mouth to speak but suddenly there was a loud bang and I was thrown forward. We were hit with something....big. At first, I thought another car might have rear-ended us but we were alone on this winding road. The blast of the window shattering behind us sent tremors through me. I screamed and reached for Paul. I felt the truck drifting on the concrete as the glass flew past me. The sounds of the tires screeching drowned out all other sounds. The vehicle was spinning. I could see Paul's hand stretched out in front of me as the world spiraled around us. When the momentum stopped I was slammed into the passenger door and my head hit the door.