Chapter 2 - The Predicament

24 years ago

The Alpha werewolf and his mate quietly approached the large Tudor home nestled in the far east end of town. It was a good distance from any nearby homes and was surrounded by thick woods. It was nestled far enough away from town to provide privacy while providing a sense of being in the middle of nature. The pack leader was keenly aware of this home as it was situated just outside his borders. Although he was on edge, he and his wife were not in wolf form. They were not prepared for battle.... yet.

This evening would not be spent with their own kind. So they drove a vehicle and dressed appropriately in semi-formal clothes. In their human form, they were a very attractive couple. The Alpha was tall and muscular with salt and pepper hair similar to his trimmed beard. He wore a white dress shirt and black slacks. His mate had a slender build with dark hair, cut in a sophisticated bob. She was beautiful , and deadly. Most she-wolf mothers were.

Tonight, they were the welcome guests of the local Sheriff. But, the Wolfsbane flowers that surrounded the entire exterior of the home said otherwise. He wasn't trying to be stealthy but he parked their vehicle at the end of the long driveway. He wanted more time to try to convince his wife to back out of this as they walked up the house. He shot a troubled glance at the innocent-looking purple flowers that were deadly to their kind. He then turned to his partner and chided through their mind-link, "They surround their house with wolfsbane and you think these people can be trusted?"

His better half turned to her alpha and stood for a moment facing him. He always appreciated her direct approach. It also gave him the opportunity to take in her beautiful face. Quietly and firmly she reminded her husband, "James...our young pup is hurting. We must do something! And, it will take more than this little field of wolfsbane to harm you Alpha." Her hands reached up to adjust the collar of his shirt. She smiled with all of the patience and love she felt inside.  He frowned, knowing that she was right, as always. It would take more than wolfsbane to take him down. "Just don't eat or drink anything that they offer," he cautioned. They were here for their son. His sole heir was suffering and he would do all he could do to stop it.

It was a risk they were taking coming here. They would have to expose their true nature to these...these humans. Very few people knew of their kind but he would rather keep the exposure to these weak creatures to a minimum. The humans that knew of the existence of werewolves feared them, as they should. Experience has taught him that you can't trust someone that fears you. He was unsure of revealing their true selves to these strangers.

'I think these are good people," his partner whispered, giving his hand a little squeeze. He looked into his mate's beautiful green eyes. It always amazed him how she always seemed to understand his feelings and knew how to reassure him. This time it wasn't hard to read his emotions. They felt the same. They both were filled with concern for their son and hoped for a solution. He nodded in acquiescence and squeezed her hand.

He was there to protect and support her. It was his duty to protect his pack and most of all his family. His young son was the future of the pack. So he followed his mate to the house and stood silently as she knocked. The front door quickly flung open as they came face to face with Sheriff Joseph Alarie and his wife Claire.

The Sheriff was a stout man and as equally opposing as the alpha. He had bright red hair, a thick red mustache, and soft brown eyes. The werewolves weren't too involved in town but we were aware of the new sheriff. He was a quiet and disciplined man. He and his wife were well-liked in town.

He stood very still in his uniform with his lips pursed tightly together as he eyed his new guests warily. He remained silent as he politely gestured them into the house with a nod and an outstretched arm. Mrs. Alarie emerged from behind him. She was just as tall as her husband. She was thin with curly blonde hair haphazardly pulled into a bun on her head. They both looked tired, stressed, and most of all worried. The sounds of an infant crying loudly could be heard from another room. The alpha's face momentarily softened. He realized that he and his mate were not alone. He sympathized with the anxious parents. The sheriff and his wife were suffering as well. He reached out to shake the Sheriff's hand to the shock of all three. With the realization that he would have to be the first to speak, he began. "Sheriff Alarie, Mrs. Alarie, I am James Bennett and this is my wife Nina."