Chapter Twenty-Eight.

Finn

Avery letting me hold her in the shower was a really big step, one that I was not expecting to happen. I'm not pushing it, though. I'm going to be open to the affection but I'm not going to force it. She has be ready for it, it's not up to me.

It's been three days since then and that's as close as we've gotten. I feel selfish over how much it hurts to not be able to hold her, and I really feel like I could kneel over from all the pain I have over not being able to kiss her.

The last time I kissed her was right before I left for my trip. I remember how simple and easy it was, how I took it for granted because it was like one we've done thousands of times at this point. Sure, it's not going to be the last kiss we ever have but that doesn't mean I don't wish I savored it more.

She's like a shell of herself, she's quiet and she's not doing much besides sleeping and eating when I basically have to force her too. I got her to go outside this morning, we walked over by the reservoir but that didn't last longer than fifteen minutes.

I'm getting so many calls and texts from everyone, but I refuse to let them see her. I know that's the last thing she'd want.

Of course her mother is putting up the biggest fight. I understand she wants to see her daughter after everything, and if she was a decent mother to begin with than maybe I'd let her, but Avery chose to move her life along without her and I'm not going to just let her waltz back in here. That's going to be Avery's decision when Avery is okay enough to make it. For now, all I can do is go by the decision she made when she was able to.

Mom and Morgan are worried sick, as are Grace and Casey. I'm still annoyed at our friends, but not enough to keep ignoring them. I think we'll always disagree on Grace's decision to keep our baby a secret, but Aves is so persistent on me not being upset with her.

The one thing that is changing is that Olive is coming home today, Casey is on his way with her now since they took her off Mom's hands. She's been gone long enough and I think introducing Aves to our pup again will help her. I don't think she'll get overwhelmed, at least I'm hoping she won't.

Me keeping our dog from her may seem like I'm overreacting, but I don't care. I will take things as slow as I need to and I will not do anything that will further harm my girl. I need to be absolutely sure that she can handle everything I'm putting in front of her.

She's currently laying on the couch, mindlessly staring at the television as That 70s Show plays. I'm not sure she's even watching, but her eyes are following it so I'm not going to try and turn it off. I don't really know what else to do.

I'm cleaning the kitchen when the door at the bottom of the steps starts to open slowly, which makes her jump. I put my hand out to her to try and calm her, even though she knew that Casey was coming. "Relax, baby. It's Casey and Olive."

She looks over at me and nods, but then she looks at the door like she still doesn't trust it. I'm watching her closely as she slowly sits up and keeps her eyes trained to the stairs, while I go over there to try and corral Olive before she comes barreling up the steps.

When I go to the top of the staircase, Casey is standing there with our pup still on her leash. He doesn't make any moves to come further in but Olive goes nuts once she sees me.

I crouch at the top of the steps and put my arms out, "You can come up."

Casey let's go of the leash and Olive bolts up the steps and basically tackles me. I stay steady in the squat I'm in and give her all the scratches and coos to suffice her for a few minutes.

My mood instantly lifts with the licks that are spreading across my face, it's hard for it not to with a pup as sweet as Ollie. She whimpers as she gets as close to me as possible, but then she sees Aves over my shoulder and goes to lunge for her - in the best way.