Death and a Beginning

She sat in silence. A heavy silence. Her heart carried love. Her pasts, pain. Her present? Grief. Tear tracks glistened on her dry cheeks, the tears not lasting long as her parched skin quickly absorbed them, scrounging for whatever comfort it could get.

Comfort. It sounded so foreign. She barely remembered the feeling. But she couldn't forget it. Neither the love, nor the pain. And she certainly couldn't ignore the mound in front of her- the mound which now concealed the body of a certain fiery young girl- her savior. The flowers drifted gently down from the swaying branches of the lone tree that sheltered the hill, towards the earth and onto the grave of the redhead who had saved the child that mourned the loss of her hero. The young child, barely more than fourteen, lay her head on the soil she had turned with her bare hands, the soil she had moistened with her own sweat and tears for days, just to let her friend rest in peace. And with the body she buried lay a fragment of her love, her heart, her soul, chipped off the second her only comfort was no more.

And she laughed. It wasn't pleasant, nor was it meant to be. In fact, it could barely be called a laugh. Just a sharp burst of sound that echoed in the rolling hills that surrounded her, mingled with the leaves of the swaying branches, dancing gracefully before beginning its descent down, back to the earth, and onto the grave. Memories flooded her brain, overwhelming her with the good and the bad that had happened. Overwhelming her with her life.

She knew in that moment that she had lost everything and everyone that could possibly love her, help her, save her. Everyone was gone. Not her friends or family remained, no one. She was all alone in a terrible cruel world and had nothing with her to survive. Life itself seemed stupid. What was seven the point? Why was there the need to live?

But there's still some hope. I could find her. I just could. It's possible.

It was a hopeless thought, and she knew it was pointless to hold onto it, but she did. Because hope is addicting, and regret and guilt is too damn scary. She'd never be able to live with herself if she gave up and then found out that she'd abandoned her. The chance was slim, it almost seemed impossible, hell, it sounded stupid, but there was always the chance that she was alive and thriving. She couldn't just leave when she didn't know for sure that she was dead as well. And so, she stood up on shaky limbs, her hair matted and ratty, her clothes ripped and muddy, everything about her screaming undernourished; but so strong and determined. She couldn't make sure that she was dead and die in peace. So, she'd make sure that if she was alive, she had a reason to hold on. Besides, how many others had suffered like them? How many more would? And did any of them actually deserve it?

None of them should have had to go through what they did. No one deserved such cruelty. But it did happen, and she was going to make sure it never happened to anyone else, ever again. She was a girl who grew up way before she had to, and now, she was a girl with a mission.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆

So.... three girls. One's alive, one's dead and one is possibly alive but probably dead!

Whatcha think?

What happened to these girls?

What happens next?

Is the third girl alive?

Who are these girls?

Why are they in such a predicament?

Comment and put your thoughts in on what you think happened!

Word: Death

What you get when you search I up on Google:

noun

noun: death; plural noun: deaths

1.
the end of somebody/something's life; dying
Example: The police do not know the cause of death.

There was no food and people were starving to death.
2.
the end (of something)
Example: death of communism

What I infer from the word and its meanings: A turning point of anything.