Chapter 11: Rise

It was quiet darkness that surrounded Wanda. Warm and almost friendly compared to the memories that had previously consumed her waking thoughts. She was comfortable. And felt at ease. Peaceful.

Quiet.

Still.

Then whispers

Vitam....

Natura....

Te....

It was gradually getting louder and louder.

Vitam tibi dedi

I give life to you

Natura tibi vitam dat

Nature gives life to you

Te surgere rogamus

We ask you to wake up

Vitam tibi dedi!

Natura tibi vitam dat!

Te surgere rogamus!

Wanda's eyes opened.

She wanted to sit up, but any movement was too difficult, so she breathed in deeply and exhaled. And the light surrounding her slowly morphed into recognizable shapes. And she saw the two figures leaning over her one was Scarlett, the other an unknown but strangely familiar figure.

Continuing to breathe, Wanda closed her eyes again. 

"Wanda, wait!" Scarlett cut in almost as soon as Wanda's eyes shut. Wanda opened her eyes again and raised a singular eyebrow. 

"Yes?" Wanda asked.

"Don't close your eyes for a bit... we just got you to wake up," Scarlett explained.

"Can I blink?" Wanda responded, sarcasm coating her words.

"Is she always this way?" asked the other figure.

"Rude," muttered Wanda, and the other figure chuckled.

"Look, kiddo, I'm impressed any Wanda took you under their wing. But you could at least be respectful-" start the other figure.

"Seriously, Wanda, it's alright" Scarlett interrupted.

Wanda blinked and then realized what Scarlett had said. All three witches looked at each other. Suddenly it came to Wanda why the new individual looked so familiar. It was another variant of her. 

"Can we give her a nickname too?" Wanda asked Scarlett, who laughed.

"Are you alright with that?" Scarlett looked to the third witch who shrugged. 

"I won't be here for long so you don't need to bother," she said.

"Too late!" Wanda exclaimed. "Your nickname is Ruby!"

"Perfect!" Scarlet smiled and agreed.

"Alright alright, I'll accept it" chuckled the third witch. "Ruby, huh? I like it."

"I'm sensing a theme, Wanda..." Scarlett teased.

"So?" retorted Wanda. "It makes sense doesn't it?"

"The way you act, it's as if you are a teenager," Ruby commented. Her gaze inspected Wanda and it seemed like her sight was searching her mind and soul. It was just then that Wanda remembered that her variants could likely read minds as she could.

"Out of my head", Wanda ordered. 

"I was expecting you to figure that out sooner..." Ruby said.

"She still has a lot to learn-" Scarlett chimed in.

"And we are all relying on you to teach her" Ruby snapped.

"We are making progress, that's the most we can do!" Scarlett retorted back.

Their conversation dissolved into arguing and Wanda stayed out of it. She knew they were talking about her, and her hopes to reach the NetherRealm. 

Wanda felt tired, she wanted to go to sleep, or do something to relax and reset. The day had been long and had taken a toll on her. There was clearly so much she still had to learn and she wanted to be able to put in her all.

"You guys!" Wanda interrupted the argument. "I get that I'll need to work harder and more, now can I get back to my cabin?"

Scarlett shot one last glare at Ruby and moved toward Wanda. "Come here, I'll show you how you get back."

Ruby watched the two witches work together to get Wanda back into her physical form. There was much those witches didn't know that Ruby did. The knowledge was powerful and Ruby knew it. And she wondered if she made the right choice to withhold it from them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND WE'RE BACK!

Thanks for your patience as I got some craziness out of the way! I look forward to exploring Wanda's story further! And I know some of you may be feeling disappointed, but I promised WandaNat and you will get WandaNat! 

...just after I let Wanda have more character development.

It's coming, have patience. I don't want to drag it out but I also don't want to rush things. I hope y'all will continue reading!

BTW WE HAVE REACHED 10K reads!!! THANKS FOR READING!

Keep Calm and Read On!

Mika Ambers