Chapter 10: Mistake

As Wanda remained motionless for longer lengths of time, her inactiveness was noticed by her multiversal selves.

Now and then a variant of Wanda came to see what the disturbance in the multiverse was about. Each had a different reaction, some responded with assistance, trying to use spells to wake Wanda, others looked down upon her still form and watched with contempt and ridicule.

Scarlett was embarrassed by every new arrival, if she had the option to leave she would have taken it. She had a reputation to maintain among the variants and caring about Wanda was not usual. She believed half of the glares shot by other varients were directed at her rather than Wanda. 

Wanda had been considered weak from the beginning, but then Westview happened. It changed all the varients' minds as to her power's potential, but only a few felt confident enough to put immediate trust in Wanda's ability. Scarlett was hesitant to trust Wanda's capabilities, it was why she was part of the compromise made by a group of the variants. 

But Scarlett felt that the variant she was trying to help was different, Wanda was sweet and misguided and troubled. She didn't need someone else attacking her for who she was, so Scarlett opted to help her.

Mumurs broke up amoung a few varients standing near each other and Scarlett could catch tiny whiffs of their conversations.

"I knew she wasn't strong enough"

"It was a mistake to trust her"

"She has failed us"

"Just a total disappointment"

Scarlett almost wanted to laugh, but she kept quiet. Embarassed as she felt from the judgement of the variant she also realized the hypocrisy of those judging. They were only judging themselves.

But not every Wanda variant was the same. Scarlett found herself being comforted by some of the more caring variants.

"Are you certain she will wake?" asked one varient. Scarlett looked up at the variant who spoke.

"I'd like to think so..." Scarlett said.

"I truly hope this Wanda can help us, but I'm very glad you are here to help her." the variant smiled and patted Scarlett on the shoulder.

"Thanks" Scarlett replied. The variant left.

More time passed, more variants were leaving than coming at this point. It had been nearly 24 hours without any sign of movement from Wanda. Eventually, there was only one other varient.

"Wanda," the variant called out

"Are you blind? She can't hear you," Scarlett called back.

"I was talking to you, Wanda" the variant responded in an easy tone.

"I just said.... oh, you meant me." Scarlett almost snapped before realizing the meaning of the varient's words.

"Yes," the variant came closer, close enough for a small smile to be seen on her face.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to insult you..." Scarlett began.

"Don't worry Wanda, I understand." the variant knelt next to Scarlett and posed her hands over Wanda's limp form. "But it's time for your Wanda to wake up."

"How?" Scarlett began to ask but she was interrupted by the variant.

"There's no easy way to explain, but you have the knowledge within you, we all do, so just try following my lead," the variant smiled before closing her eyes and beginning to chant a spell.

Vitam tibi dedi

Natura tibi vitam dat

Te surgere rogamus

Scarlett joined in as they repeated the chant.

Vitam tibi dedi

Natura tibi vitam dat

Te surgere rogamus

Finally, Wanda's eyes opened.