Chapter 2

The American Museum of Natural History had been silent for years, it was like a graveyard to those who knew the secret to it. There wasn’t much history in it anymore since the museum had stopped its ‘night actors’ after the events of the british museum which happened three years ago. Larry Daley was in desperate need of a job so he got offered the night guard job back, only that it was eerily everytime he stepped into the building that hosted many memories. Tonight, would be no different or would it. 

Nicky was home from his music expedition and he had planned to spend the night with his dad at the museum one more time. Knowing his dad was going to speak to Dr Mcphee in the morning to drop the job, this would be the last time the father and son could come into the museum at night. McPhee had ordered a surprise with a certain night guard over in Britain about buying back his egyptian wing but he wasn’t one to spread the news, he preferred giving people heart attacks. 

“Dad!”

“Hey Nicky!” Larry called out as his son came jogging into the museum lobby. The two gave a brief hug, in Larry’s honest opinion Nick hadn’t changed much since he saw him last time which was three years ago. Yeah, they kept in touch but Nicky was living in Ibiza while Larry lived in Manhattan.

“Let’s get this over with” Nick spoke up, Larry shrugged his shoulders pulling out two chairs from the lobby desks and getting comfortable. Nick decided to log on to one of the computers and finish some work while Larry played with his torch and keys. 

“Hey Nicky, I’m going to do my rounds. Ring me if you need anything, yeah” Larry turned to his son who bopped his head to the music. Larry shook his head walking off in the direction of the Hall of Miniatures. 

Nick was working on some new music when a thud made him look up, he frowned when there was nothing around him. Instead, he went back to his music unaware of the museum suddenly getting warmer. THUD. Nick looked up only to gasp, Rexy was wagging his tail and moving around. Nick couldn’t believe his eyes which quickly widened when Rexy roared for all he was worth waking any others from their dreamless sleep. 

“Nick my boy, how long has it been!” Nick’s head whipped around too quickly for the president's liking, who winced thinking about whiplash. “Teddy!” Nick cried out, the president chuckled, hugging the now young man. Exhibits soon started to come back alive, “Nicky!”. The young man whipped around to see Atilla walking towards them, having learned to say Nick’s name last time. He squished the young man in one of his enormous hugs. Nick laughed as a certain troubled monkey appeared with sacagawea. Dexter climbed straight into Nick’s arms. The young man couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas present. 

A few minutes before Rexy’s roar…

Ever since working here, Larry had made sure to buy earphones so it didn’t look like he was talking to himself as he did his rounds of the museum. Entering the Hall of Miniatures, Larry made sure to check none of the figures had been pinched. Children were known for trying to sneak out thinking the little figurines were toys only to be caught. It happened so often that Dr Mcphee was ready to put up glass and it would be the next course of action once it was approved by the board. 

Larry smiled to himself, he couldn’t imagine how Jedediah and Octavius would feel with glass in their way, not that it mattered since they were long gone now. “Gigantor!”. Oh my god, it was like he could hear them. “My Liege!”. Larry continued walking when he heard something powerful sound through the museum, popping an earphone out. He was in disbelief when two voices made him turn around, “Gigantor! Down here!”. Looking down, Larry helped two small bodies into his pocket. “Jed, Octavius! I am glad to see you, but how”. Jed and Octavius shared a look, the roman ignored his sarcastic friend and spoke, “I’m gathering the tablet of Ahkmenrah must be back”. Larry’s knuckles went white, Ahkmenrah!. “Hold on guys”. Giving them a few minutes, Larry looked down to see Jed sticking his thumb up. Nodding, the night guard sprinted in the direction of the main lobby.