Chapter 1

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚙𝚑𝚢𝚜𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚗 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎; 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝 𝚙𝚑𝚢𝚜𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚗 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎.

Teegan's POV

" Teegan, when are you going to come to visit us, sweetie? " My mom whined into the phone, and I groaned internally as my pager went off for the second time while I fixed my hair in its clip

" Teegan, when are you going to come to visit us, sweetie? " My mom whined into the phone, and I groaned internally as my pager went off for the second time while I fixed my hair in its clip. It was nothing major, but my attending physician was waiting for me, and here I was, trying to get my mom off of my back.. as snappy as that may sound.. But I didn't even get to have my morning coffee since I was running late!

" Mama, you know I'm busy. I promise to make time at the end of this month or next month, ok? I have to run, " I said quickly, and I could practically see her pouting in my mind.

" Ok, my love, just know me and your father are so proud of you! Call me when you can. " She said softly, and I responded with an "I love you," ended the call, and bolted out of the bathroom as I pulled on my white coat. I was the baby of 3 children, and my two older brothers were always busy and working, so my parents found joy in calling me to chat.. knowing I couldn't say no or ignore their calls even when I was swamped.

I'm in my third year of medical school, and this month, I'm facing my clinical in Emergency Medicine. I will admit that the hospital is beautiful, and the nurses and staff are very helpful, but the doctor I am working with.. seems to get up on the wrong side of the bed every morning. Some of the other doctors are very nice, and I envy my med-school classmates that are working with them. But for now, I have to just suck it up and deal with-

" Teegan! " - Dr. Wyatt. I gulped softly as I quickly made my way over to his office and pushed a piece of hair behind my ear.

" I'm s-sorry, Dr. Wyatt, " I said, doing my best to keep my voice steady, and he shook his head.

" Sorry isn't going to cut it. Do you have any idea how many patients are waiting outside in the waiting room and how short staff we are?! " He screamed angrily at me, and I bit my lip, almost flinching. He was a very intimidating man, tall, with broad shoulders and a scowl that could send someone flying. I was happy to be given some more tasks as a med student, but it felt overwhelming at times since I didn't exactly have all the answers or know a majority of the procedures without asking for his help. It's times like this that I miss my rotation in family medicine, where the biggest worry me and my physician had was choosing what to eat for lunch...