Chapter 9 : Naruto vs Sasuke (the aftermath)

PS - Sasuke has revived Orochimaru, participated in the 4th Great Ninja War with Naruto and defeated Kaguya. Sasuke challenged Naruto to a fight to be conducted at the Valley of the end. Both of them fought each other aggressively until Naruto's rasengan and Sasuke's chidori clashed and they both fell down, unconscious.

"You have finally come to, eh?" Naruto chuckled softly. Sasuke who had just got up, turned swiftly towards Naruto. He felt a sharp pain in his arm. He looked down on his arm and his eyes widened. Sasuke's left arm and Naruto's right arm weren't there. There was only a pool of blood in the area their arms should have been.

"If either of us moves too much, we will bleed out and die." Naruto said, looking at the moonlit sky. "Why would you go that far?" Sasuke asked as he looked up to face Naruto. "Everyone has tried to cut their ties with me as well, at some point...But you..." Sasuke stopped for breath. His injuries were interfering with his conversation.

"Now that your body can't move, your mouth sure is moving a lot." Naruto smiled weakly through his bruised face. They fought each other rigorously. Their torn off arms was proof of that. "Just answer me already!" Sasuke managed to yell. Naruto turned towards him slowly and gazed into his eyes. Sasuke looked back earnestly.

"Because you're my friend." Naruto replied. "I have heard that before. But what does it exactly mean?" Sasuke questioned. Naruto looked away from and glanced at the moonlit sky again. How pretty it was. "When I see you take on stuff...and get all messed up...It kinda hurts me. You ask me to explain it but I really can't put it into words." Naruto answered.

'Naruto...I knew that you were always alone back then. You intentionally did stupid things to get scolded and for some reason it started to weigh on my mind. Then, every time I would see you, I would think about you, more and more. And I don't know why but I felt relief. Seeing you desperately trying to bond with others...made me remember my own family. And one day, I started to feel the desire to fight you too. I began to see the shadow of my own family in squad 7. You have always told me that I was the strong and cool one which is the reason why you made me your rival. But in reality, it was the opposite. I was the one who was jealous of you. Just like my late big brother, you were always walking in front of me.' Sasuke thought to himself. These were his true feelings.

Sasuke saw Naruto drift away from him as they grew. Sasuke was left with no one whereas Naruto's friend's circle was increasing. Sasuke's eyes widened at Naruto's friend's circle. Sasuke was standing to Naruto's left.

Sasuke was shocked. 'He was never lying in the first place. He always wanted me to be his friend, to be by his side and partake in his happiness.' He looked down in shame, knowing the pain he had caused Naruto.

Naruto's memories flushed into his mind. "I will become Hokage and prove to the village that I am worthy!" 12 year old Naruto said, rubbing his nose. "I won't give up on Sasuke! Even if it makes me a fool!" 13 year old Naruto smiled under his bandages. "I will bring Sasuke back to the village and become Hokage!" 16 year old Naruto grinned, determined.

"I knew you were thick headed Sasuke but I didn't expe..." Naruto chuckled as he turned over to look at Sasuke. His eyes widened. The sun dawned on them. A tear trickled from Sasuke's eye. Naruto smiled in relief. Sasuke had understood him afterall.

Sasuke turned away, hoping that Naruto didn't see his tears. "I admit it, Usuratonkachi...I have lost." Sasuke admitted. Naruto yelled, "THIS ISN'T ABOUT WINNING OR LOSING, IT IS ABOUT YOU FINALLY COMING TO YOUR SENSES! AND I AM SO GLAD YOU DID!'

Sasuke rolled his eyes, feeling pain in his abdomen. "Shut up, Usuratonkachi..." He said as he dozed off. Naruto did the same.

Around half an hour later

"Naruto! Sasuke kun!" Sakura exclaimed as she removed her hand from Kakashi's shoulder. She ran towards them and clasped her hands with her mouth upon seeing their bruised state. She asked them to lie down as she treated them with medical ninjutsu.

"Sakura...I am sorry." Sasuke sighed as Sakura treated his arm. Sakura bit her lip and looked down, concentrating on his wound. "What for?" she asked. "For everything..." Sasuke coughed. "Y-You better be, you idiot!" Sakura cried, covering her eyes with her tears. Naruto laughed softly at her whereas Sasuke smiled. 

Kakashi went closer to them and saw this scene from the cliff he was standing on and smiled. Naruto was laughing at Sakura who was balling her eyes out while Sasuke stared at Naruto with calm eyes, happy to be by his side. 

"How wholesome this is...Team 7 is back again, better than ever" Kakashi smiled as he adjusted his worn out mask. He went down to help Sasuke and Naruto get up and go back to Konoha.

AUTHOR'S NOTE - The next chapter is going to be the last one folks so buckle up your seatbelts! Also, many parts in this chapter is canon so if you want to watch this scene, go check out Naruto Shippuden episode 478. See you in the next chapter. 

 Sayonara~