Farewell

Maya and Carina had arranged with their respective jobs to go to Los Angeles for three days.

They would leave the following Friday morning and return on Sunday evening to resume work on Monday.

They had flown in and booked a car to get around.

They had gone to Maya's parents' house to get the keys to the apartment. Maya needed courage from her partner and she drowned this need under sex.

Carina didn't know how to react. And because she loved Maya, she didn't ask questions. She let her use sex as a way to get rid of her fears. This may not have been healthy, but Maya needed to know that the Italian was there for her and that she did not judge her.

After their umpteenth romp since last Monday's appointment, Carina finally asked Maya if she knew when she wanted to go to the cemetery.

- "tomorrow I think. Tomorrow in the late afternoon. Tomorrow we could go to my parents' house for lunch. And then about 4:00pm."

- "ok bambina"

- "but right now...."

- "Bambina, I love, I really, really, really love having sex with you, but did you think about what you were going to say tomorrow?"

- "yes I wrote a little, I thought about what I wanted to say to him"

- "and you want to talk about it?"

- "not really... But I would like you to be there tomorrow when I talk to him."

- "whatever you want my love"

- "and right now..."

---

That evening, the two young women had left for Maya's parents' house.

- "my darlings it's been a long time!" Katherine said as she took them in her arms

- "sorry mom, we've had a lot going on"

- "Can I see this wedding ring?"

-"Of course," said Carina, holding out her left hand

- "She is beautiful. And this proposal was sublime my daughter, I am proud of you" she says while passing her hand in her back.

- "Thanks, Mom. Is Daddy not here?" She was pretty stressed.

- "yes he is in the shower"

- "ok, ok"

- "so what is this great mystery?"

- "I'd rather wait for Daddy if you don't mind"

- "no worries my dear"

A short time later Lane joined the three women in the living room. He greeted the two young women with a hug.

Then settled on the sofa next to his wife. The aperitif was already served.

-"Well, we're here, but not just to see you". Maya began. "I'm seeing a therapist. And there are several things that are wrong that I need to work on. One of which is the fact that I didn't get to say goodbye to Mason" her voice cracked at her brother's name. Bringing tears to the eyes of all four protagonists. "And since I didn't come to his funeral, I didn't really let him go and I have to do that so I can be ... Happy?! I will always think about him but there are things I need to work on."

Maya told them how she came to the conclusion, not on her own, that she needed to see a therapist. How the first two sessions went and the exercises she had already done.

For the rest of the evening, the four of them talked about the months that had passed since the last time they had seen each other. Maya's request, the accident, and all the other events that had happened in between on both sides.