⁵ if i don't laugh

the next day at school sage had steered clear of ej

the next day at school sage had steered clear of ej. any glimpse she saw of him she turned the other way. she needed her space. he had clearly realised, the shimmer of his summer showmance with nini giving way to the fact he had broken his best friends heart and he obviously wanted to talk to her but she just wasn't ready to have that discussion yet especially since in her eyes, he had already moved on. before she knew it they were all back in the drama department's dressing room and getting measured and shown ideas for their costumes.

sage was sitting on a stool next to ashlyn as kourtney was fretting over them and getting their measurements. she smiled at the girl as she complimented her outfit of the day. "thanks kourt," sage laughed lightly. kourtney smiled as she moved onto measuring ashlyn. sage sighed as she sat beside her friend, doing all she could to ignore ej's voice in the background.

she saw nini zoning out a little in the middle of the room and called out to her, waving her over because she felt like the girl was a little lost.

[

sage willis:

just because ej broke my heart and nini is his girlfriend doesn't mean she and i have to have bad blood. she's a sweet girl.

]

"you okay nini?" said girl nodded in response. "yeah, just thinking about all of this. it's just crazy." sage laughed lightly. "well be happy and excited, you deserve this." nini smiled brightly at sage who smiled equally as brightly back. "thank you sage, it means a lot."

sage gave the girls shoulder a squeeze before she walked out of the dressing room. not missing the small smile she got from ej, which she unknowingly returned. she sighed as she walked through the halls heading to her locker to trade in her calculus notebook for her english lit one.

she closed her locker door before being startled slightly by ej leaning against the locker beside hers. "hey," he said quietly. "hi," she replied looking at him expectantly.

"listen, i know I'm the last person you wanna talk to at the moment." he started. sage rolled her eyes before starting to walk, beckoning him to follow her. "it's not that ej, i just need a bit of time okay." she explained as she looked over at him. "just give me a little bit to get over it, I've had enough promises broken but this one hurt a little more."

she smiled slightly at him before walking into her class with her notebook pulled into her chest and sliding into her seat, trying to push him out of her mind.

ej sighed as he watched her walk away again, but he understood. if she needed time he would give her time.

by the time the bell rang sage had calmed down and was making her way to the bomb shelter for the read through, she held onto her song book tightly as well as her script. hands shaking with jitters as she thought about what was gonna happen today. she walked in behind a few of her other castmates, all of them smiling and greeting her which she reciprocated.

her jaw dropped slightly as she looked around at the room before a smile spread across her face, much like the others around her. she walked towards the circle of chairs in the center of the room, seeing the name tags of characters and looking eagerly for her own.

kelsi nielson, stared her in the face as she spun around and saw it. right in between sharpay and ms darbus. she smiled to herself already seeing ashlyn and seb sat in their seats.

she slid into her seat and set her books down in front of her, the lights slightly reflecting off the cover of songbook as she flipped it open to a new page to quickly jot down an idea she had suddenly.

seb tapped her shoulder and she looked up and smiled at him. "sorry, had an idea. wanted to get it down as soon as i could." he shook his head, "all good, was just wondering what you're doing." she smiled at him and started to talk to him about her song book. completely missing ej sourly putting back the name tags he had switched after a look from ashlyn.

miss jenn called for everyone's attention and sage was giddy with nerves and excitement as she turned to face the center of the room, her eyes locking with ej's in the process as she gave him a smile before turning her full attention to the drama teacher.

"remember to silence your phones please," miss jenn reminded. sage reached into her pocket and quickly switched hers off before rejoining the conversation. "i realise that you all walked in here as strangers." miss jenn began. ashlyn raised her hand slightly and informed her that ej was her cousin. sage stifled a little chuckle as she looked at ashlyn who smiled at her sheepishly as miss jenn continued, "but after today you're a family." she looked around at all the students sitting before her. "one tribe, committed to lifting this classic film to new heights."

sage laughed quietly as she saw carlos posing for a selfie, said boy shooting her a playful glare after he apologised quietly to miss jenn.

"if i don't laugh i'm gonna cry, don't wanna hear your name tonight"