THIRTY-EIGHT | Two People, Two Kisses

Start from the beginning

"Bad. Really bad. They don't go away," she mumbles.

A knock on the door interrupts us. I stand up and walk to the door and open it. Elijah looks at me worried, "Is she okay?"

I take the water bottle from his hand and firmly nod, "Yeah. She decided to get drunk with Ares."

Elijah shakes his head, "I'll talk to Ares."

I nod and shut the door when he walks away. I turn around and see Athena staring at the wall.

I stand in front of her and pass her the water bottle, she takes it and drinks from it. That should sober her up a bit. She closes it and places it on her nightstand.

"Come on. You need to sleep."

She nods, I help her lay down, and put the covers over her.

"We will talk in the morning, okay?"

She closes her eyes.

I sigh and I walk to the door but then I hear her quiet voice.

"I watched Bianca die."

I freeze.

I turn around and look at her. No. That's not possible. I stride toward her, "What do you mean?" She doesn't answer. Cazzo. She's asleep already.

I run a hand through my hair, she watched her die? Did she kill her? When did this happen? Does she know?

I'll have to ask her when she's sober. And awake.

I stare down at my little sister. She's an enigma that needs to be solved. She holds secrets in a bottle that's been in the ocean for years and it needs to be found.

Will she ever open up to us? Does she even feel safe around us? No— Does she feel safe around me?

I lean down and gently wipe the hair away that's covering her face. "I will protect you till the day I die," I quietly promise her. I kiss her on the forehead.

She can't hear me. I know. But I mean it.

I will make her monsters go away. I will make her bad thoughts go away. I will make sure everyone who even looks at her in the wrong way goes away.

She is my little sister.

No one in this world will ever touch her on my watch.

Not even Yavok Orlav.

ATHENA RUSSO:

No. No. No. This can't be happening to me right now. No. No. No. I look down at the blood and I feel tears form in my eyes.

I'm on my period.

My first period ever.

Thankfully, I know what a period is. I've just never had one. And because of that I don't have any of those types of products.