THIRTY-EIGHT | Two People, Two Kisses

Start from the beginning

"We are siblings, Athena. Of course we would have the same eyes," I say, shaking my head.

"But that isn't fair. I want to be special."

My eyes soften when I see her sad expression. God. I can never get mad at her. Especially when she's sad. "You are special," I tell her.

"What about me?"

I glare at Ares, "You're delusional if you think you're special."

Ares gasps, "You don't mean that."

I raise an eyebrow, "Oh but I do."

"Fine! You shall starve for a whole week. Goodbye!" Ares storms off to the kitchen, stomping his feet loudly.

An amused smile meets my face. He's so passionate about food, that at this point it's a talent.

I look back down at Athena, all of sudden I feel panic when I see her empty eyes.

"Athena?"

She snaps out of it and looks at me, "Yes?"

"Let's get you to bed. You must be tired."

She hums, opening her arms. I smile, picking her up. She rests her head on my shoulder and I walk to the stairs.

"I didn't mean to get drunk. I just wanted to know what it was like," she murmers. I stay silent as I walk up the stairs.

"It made all the bad thoughts go away," she whispers.

"What bad thoughts?"

"I can't tell you."

I walk to her bedroom and open the door. I turn the light on and walk into her bathroom. I place her on the counter and grab a towel. I wrap it around her, since she must be cold from her wet clothes.

"I'll be back. Don't go anywhere, okay?"

She nods.

I leave the bathroom and enter her closet. None of these clothes look like they would warm her up. I take my hoodie off and then grab one of her sweatpants.

I go back into bathroom, "Here. Wear this."

She looks down at my shirts and snorts. "Why does your shirt say 'I am the best brother in the world'?" I look down at my shirt and then look back at her. "Because I am?"

She frowns, "No you're not."

"I'm not? Why?"

She shrugs, not answering.

This is very unsettling. She's the type of person to bottle everything up but even when she's drunk she still doesn't open up. She won't even tell me why I'm not the best brother in the world.

"Go get changed. I'll be waiting outside."

I leave the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I sit down on her bed and pull my phone out. I quickly send a text to Elijah to get a bottle of water and bring it up to Athena's room.

After a few seconds, the bathroom door opens and Athena steps out of the bathroom and stares at me. I gesture for her to sit down and she does.

"I need you to understand, getting drunk with you're brother isn't safe. Especially when he's driving, drunk. You need to call one of us to pick you up. Okay?"

She huffs, "Fine. I will."

"Now what bad thoughts are you getting?"

She looks away from me, "Just bad thoughts."

I don't want to force her to open up but if she's thinking of hurting herself, I have to know. I have to.

"How bad are they?"