15.The battle at Starcourt Mall

Mike was yelling into the radio. "Scoops trip do you copy? Billy has found us. We need emergency transportation."

"How did he know we were here?" Max said biting her nails. The two girls were sitting in the floor facing each other waiting for someone to come up with a plan.

"I don't know but it's not your fault." Sydney grabbed her hand.

"Yeah but if he knows...the rest of the flayed knows aswell"

"Maybe. But we'll be fine. Lucas has his wrist rocket if worst comes to worst" Sydney rolled her eyes looking over at the boy practicing on his toy.

Max laughed. "Thanks rose"

"You know you the only one that ever calls me rose right?"

"Yup" max smiled "I like having something that's special between us."

Sydney blushed. She looked around to see if anyone was looking and leaned in for a quick kiss. The two girls looked at each other after and started laughing with mad the others look.

"Sorry" max giggled.

They got up and walked over to Nancy and will. Nancy pulled a gun out and checked if there were any bullets in it.

"You gonna kill him aren't you?" Max asked looking at the gun.

"This is just a precaution okay?" Nancy reassured her.

Max nodded and held syds hand.

"And not just against billy. If he knows we're here so does the mind flayer" will pointed out

"No chance that thing will drive right?" Nancy rolled her eyes at the car that el threw across the mall.

"We don't need it to drive. We just need the ignition cable." Jonathan stepped forward.

⋙✿⋘

"What's she doing?" Max asked Mike. They got the car flipped over after eleven trying but failing.

Eleven was standing beside a pillar, constraining on a coke can sitting on the ledge of it.

"El?" Sydney asked walking over to her. "You okay?"

Eleven looked over, her nose was bleeding but nothing had happened to the can.

There was a faint banging.

"Do you hear that?" Sydney whispered to max. They both looked up at the roof which seemed to be shaking.

"Mike." Max said getting the boy to look up at the roof

"It's the mind flayer" Sydney said quietly barely able to get the words out.

"Nancy!" Mike yelled at his sister who just got the ignition cable out of the car.

"Come on!" Mike said grabbing onto el and running out from under the windows. Max and Sydney followed them. They ran and hid behind a small pop up counter. The mind flayer crashed down breaking the roof and roared.

"Griswold family, do you copy?" Dustin shouted through the walkie talkie. The mind flayer walked over to it and throw it against the wall breaking it, distorting Dustin a voice.

The mind flayer could be heard walking around the mall. It seemed to be getting closer to where el Sydney max and Mike were hiding. It lingered right behind them and Sydney braced herself. But then under some miracle it seemed to move away.