08. The Sauna Test

"Do you copy? this is a cod red!" Lucas shouts through the talkie. "i repeat. this is a code red! max. do you copy?"

Sydney threw her hand aroung trying to find max. when she did she accidently poked her in the eye.

"Ow! what the hell?!" max sat up.

"sorry but lucas wont shut up!"

"the talkie should be on the floor somewhere" max groaned tubbing her eye.

Syd felt around for the device. "found it!" she shouted

"Shut the hell up Lucas!" Syd yelled into it.

"Syd? is that you?" Lucas asked sounding confused.

"yes! now shut up! we only woke up!" Syd turned it of and turned around lying back down.

After a minute or two, the girls just settled back down when the phone started ringing.

max sat up. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"not it!" sydney yelled

Max climbed out of bed to answer it.

"i'm sleeping. Go away!" max yelled into the phone. she was about to hang up but pulled the phone back to her ear.

"what are you talking about?"...."what?" she put the phone down.

"what did he say?" el asked

"something about our lives being in danger and that we should go in house"

Sydney groaned as she rolled out of bed. "this better be worth it"

⋙✿⋘

"I didn't think it was anything at first. i mean i think i just didn't want to believe it. The first time i felt it was at Day of the Dead." Will explained

"The day the power went out" Sydney realized

"right" will continued. "and then i felt it again at the field near the Nelson farm the next day. Then again yesterday outside Castle Byers."

"what does it feel like?" max asked.

"it's almost like... you know when you drop on a roller coaster?"

the party all nodded except for el who said no.

"it's like... everything inside your body is just sinking all at once, but this is worse. Your body... it goes cold and you can't breath. I've felt it before... whenever he was close..."

"whenever who was close?" max said

"the mind flayer" will shivered. Max and Sydney exchanged a nervous look, remembering their shared experience last year.

"i closed the gate." el said.

"i know, but... what if he never left? what if we locked him out here with us?" Will said nervously.

"But how would that even be possible?" Sydney said, looking round the party, seeing that everyine was just as worried and confused as she was.

Will stood up and walked over to the table where a piece of paper and some black chalk was.

"this is him, all of him" will explains drawing a big black circle with legs coming out of it in the middle of the page while the others gathered around to watch.

"But, that day on the field, a part of him attached itself to me." Will smears his hand across the page causing some of the color to print onto his hand. "My mom got it out of me and eleven closed the gate."