49: Letter From Hyuck to Hyuck

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE.

Donghyuck was in a good mood. The weather was incredibly nice, not too hot and not too windy. And since it was Saturday, he didn't have to go to school which allowed him to do nothing and clear his mind on his birthday.

Strangely, Jaemin and Renjun didn't wish him at midnight like they always did ever since they lived under the same roof. But he was too lazy to check on them and he was that kind of person who didn't take his birthday seriously.

Usually, his parents would've called and wished him but they were also quiet as if they didn't remember what day it was today.

A laugh escaped his mouth as he scrolled through his social media. His friends were posting inappropriate pictures and videos of him that he didn't know of their existence before.

"Ah!"

Out of nowhere, an incredibly terrifying scream echoed throughout his house. He instantly sat up, gripping his phone.

Rather than scared, he was worried.

He was fidgeting at his spot.

It could be coming from the upper or lower unit which had nothing to do with him. He was aware that it'd be better if he doesn't interfere but the sound was so loud as if it came from his unit, outside of his room.

"No way, right?"

He bit the inside of his cheek. "Jaemin and Renjun must've heard that too."

With her remaining courage, he stood up and swung the door open. His eyes instantly narrowed, trying to look for a possible culprit in their house.

Ensuring that the living room was clear, he headed to Jaemin's room—only to find the room vacant. He was greeted with the same thing when he entered Renjun's room.

"Where the hell are these two?" he mumbled. "It's 3 pm."

He was now going to the kitchen. He wasn't going to stop until he was sure and satisfied that there was no robber or something similar in his house.

As soon as his foot stepped into the kitchen area, the lights were on, brightening the entire house. A loud popping noise was heard and all of a sudden, he saw confetti everywhere.

"Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!"

They approached the stupefied boy.

"Happy birthday to Lee Donghyuck. Happy birthday to you!"

He blinked a few times, trying to register everything in his mind. He looked around and recognized those faces almost immediately. There was Jaemin, Renjun, Jeno, Jisung, Mark, Jihyuck and Heejin.

"Make a wish!" Jeno held the cake for him.

He closed his eyes. 'I wish for everyone around me to be healthy and happy. I hope this bond stays for I can't afford to live without them. Protect my loved ones. My parents, my friends and—Hyuck. Daehyun, I love you forever. I'll see you soon.'

He opened his eyes and blew out the candles. The corner of his lips curled up, unable to hide his joy. He will always be grateful to have these amazing people around him. "Thank you."