~19~ Prove It

My phone rings and I sluggishly flip over the phone and answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey it's Peyton and it's also 10:30. where the hell are you?" I sit straight up and look down at my phone. The time did in fact read 10:30.

"I must've slept past my alarm. I'll be there soon." I jump out of bed and I quickly run my fingers through my hair and grab my apron.

/\/\/\/\

When I walk in, Peyton's hair is in a bun. It's kind of messy, but not in an unattractive way. She pours a fresh cup of coffee and hands it to a man -probably in his 70s- who is sitting by the window, alone, and he takes it with a smile. She rushes around the corner and into the back where I am, scrambling through boxes, looking for something. "You're late." She says, not even paying attention to me. I go to explain, but she finds what she's looking for and leaves the tiny supply room.

I go to the register and there Marley is, leaning against the wall. When she sees me, she looks up and waves. "Did you already order?" She shakes her head and comes closer to the counter. "No, I'll take a medium cold brew with two pumps caramel, one shot espresso, four pumps vanilla, one pump cotton candy, light ice, extra foam, and whip cream." She takes out her wallet and goes to hand me her credit card, but I'm still typing in her long-ass order. I finish typing in the order and I take the card and swipe it through the machine. I hand back the card and she goes back to the wall where she was a few seconds ago.

The bell chimes and a woman walks in and rushes up to the counter. "Hi! Can I have a small, iced coffee with extra foam and two shots of espresso?" She doesn't even wait for me to finish typing in the order before she puts down a ten-dollar bill and goes over to an empty table to wait. Thankfully her order was short. I go and make the lady's coffee since she seems in a hurry and before I have a chance to set it on the counter, the woman snatches it out of my hand and runs out the door. Peyton comes behind the counter and goes over to the coffee pot. "Janett is always in a rush and I never know why." She shakes her head and goes to assist another table by the door.

I make Marley's coffee and I've got to give her credit. It actually smells good. "Marley?" I hand her the coffee and she gives me a warm smile before grabbing the cup and leaving.

A few moments later a group of four girls walks in. They seem to be about college age.

As soon as they see me at the counter the girls start whispering to each other and squealing. Oh lord. Thankfully Peyton notices what's about to happen and she decides to take my place while I go on 'break'. I go into the back and hide out in there for a good five minutes before Peyton comes back and tells me the coast is clear. When I walk out, the coffee shop is nearly empty, but not for long. 

/\/\/\/\/\

After serving people tea, scones, and coffee, rush hour is finally over and it's just Peyton and I, sitting on the counter, sipping tea. "So, uh, you and Jacob?" She almost chokes on her coffee. "Oh no, we're just friends." I shake my head. "Didn't look like it." She looks at me and furrows her brows. "I promise we are!" I just nod my head, not believing a word that comes out of her mouth, 

"Prove it." She gets down from the counter and walks over to me. She cups my face with her right hand and she pecks my lips. She backs away and gets back on her side of the counter. "Well okay then." I scratch my neck and I already know my cheeks are pink. "So, uh, how'd you get my number?" She puts her plastic cup into the recycling bin. "Mike. I got everyone's, but your number last night and he gave it to me."

My lips form an 'O' shape, but nothing comes out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

heh. The end of this chapter will come in handy for later chapters ;)

lmk ab typos and the length. thanks!

~lia

Question of the chapter: What's your coffee order?