We were small and didn't care too much for formalities. They had their place, but to function in the world all individuals needed to have their own sense of purpose and confidence. They had no issue interacting with myself or my father and could speak openly with a level of respect. It was only if they threatened us or stepped severely out of line that we would require submission. My dad had once told me that those who lead by fear are the weakest ones.

Josh introduced each man to me without any assistance from Harmony even though she seemed prepared to take over the task. I watched as from even with their heads dropped they glanced between each other in amazement that this upper rank male knew their names and even some generic information about them.

"This is Grady. You just turned nineteen, right?" The boy nodded his head and even though it seemed impossible, dipped his head even lower. "Right. Nineteen. He isn't the fastest wolf you've ever seen, but he is one of the quietest. I swear when we would split into groups for pack runs as kids he was like a ghost! If you need someone to sneak into a place unnoticed, this is your dude."

The boy looked up slightly and I could his see his mouth was opened in a slight o. He stood shorter than everyone else in the room with his red hair long enough to cover most of his features when he wasn't looking at you. Even though he was a little more than a year younger than me, he was a quarter of the size with extremely pale skin that would rival a ghost. His face was still boyishly round along with the rest of his body.

Josh smiled at him reassuringly making Grady drop his head again. The next one was closer to my height with a slightly bulky build. He shifted his weight from side to side and fidgeted with the hem of his shirt. The longer the attention was on him, the more uneasy he became.

"This is Irvin. Almost twenty-two. He is about to graduate from college for...what was it again? Project development?"

"St-trateg-gic Man-nagm-ment." He stuttered so strongly that it was almost impossible to understand him. It was hard to picture him managing anything as he stood there. He grabbed his own wrist with his other hand and his tanned cheeks flushed a deep pink. Josh didn't seem to acknowledge Irvin's embarrassment and just snapped his fingers a few times and pointed at him.

"That's right! Either way he'll be a huge help planning our attack." At this Irvin looked up fully for the first time. His forest green eyes danced between us in shock, but I could have sworn that I also saw excitement. This was an opportunity for him.

It wasn't lost on me that Josh was forcing each one of them to talk. He wasn't just telling me about them so that I knew how to best utilize, but he was trying to inflate their ego. If we were to go into battle with them being completely submissive, they would lay down their lives for us. Meaning...they would probably just lay down and take death as an easy option.

The next man seemed different. At a first glance he seemed the same submissive, downtrodden, low rank as the other two, but now that he stood in front of me I could see it wasn't the full story. He wasn't trembling or keeping his eyes locked on the floor. His shoulders weren't hunched making him seem smaller. It was as though he was feigning submission because that's what he believed he was supposed to do.

In reality his head was bowed just enough for appearances and his eyes darted between Josh and me. His black hair was cut short. Similarly, to how I had mine a few months ago. His hands were clasped behind his back tightly enough for me to see the muscles in his arms flex and twitch. His broad shoulders were pushed back. He was almost identical to Cane except for blue eyes instead of brown.

When Josh focused his eyes on him, he walked up to the guy laughing. He pushed the guy's shoulder slightly too hard forcing him to drop submission altogether. He glared up at Josh, but Josh swung his arm over his shoulder like he wasn't seeing or feeling the tension rolling off him.

"This is Desmond. Cane's older brother. We play football together. This gu-"

"Played." His words came out in a sneer, but Josh kept talking as if he said nothing.

"This guy can take down anyone. Wolf or human. Strong as hell, but fast too. Should have been captain if you ask me, but that's neither here nor there."

Desmond roughly pushed Josh's arm off and crossed his arms. "Good thing I wasn't. One of our key players leaving us high and dry for championships didn't look super great to scouts."

Josh once again ignored the comment and sat at the tables. "We're going to need more pizza."

Harmony sat down beside him with Cane looming over her back. She started analyzing the paths and motioning to Josh about which ways the scent she tracked went. The other three stood there awkwardly not really sure what to do. I decided now would be the best time to get my introductions and explanations out of the way.

"Since Josh introduced all of you, I guess it's only fair I do the same for myself. The name is Adam. Lily is my mate. Long story short she was kidnapped while in a place on unprotection by either pack. Our bond is still too new for me to fully track her with it, and I can only feel her energy rarely.

We have only made it as far as a pond. Using the small pull I have from Lily, and Harmony's heightened sense of smell, we were able to confirm the pond is some sort of important area. Before we go further, we'll need to formulate a plan of action to make sure we have the best chance of everyone coming home.

I don't know how things are run at your pack, but here we don't have time for the formalities. Here we all treat each other as equals. I show you respect, and you return it. Don't feel like you need to advert your eyes or hold your tongues. One of you could have the idea that brings Lily home, and that's all that matters to me."

Each one nodded. Irvin and Grady lifted their eyes to look at my face fully for the first time. I tried to smile encouragingly, but I don't think I succeeded since Desmond scoffed and turned his head.

"On that note...Irvin why don't you stay here and help with the planning since that's your specialty. I have a bare bones house next door that has the basics in it. You guys can stay there. Josh will also stay with you and Harmony can have the guest room here."

Harmony stood up and shouted, "How sexist!"

I looked over at her and sighed. If only we could split, her defiance out amongst the other two. "Harmony, do you two live together? Or even are you allowed to stay over at each other's houses?"

She looked down and grumbled what I am assuming was a no. "We are lucky to have you all here, but any wrong move could create a war between the packs. I won't have anyone trying to say I put you in a compromising position while under our care."

She huffed but sat down and crossed her arms. Cane walked around and joined the two walking towards the door.

Before they could open it Jameson swung it open narrowly avoiding Grady's nose. Jameson crouched down and let out a low growl. For a human it was pretty intimidating. Irvin backed to the sliding door almost completely pressing his body against it. I

"Jameson!" He shot his head up and glanced between the new wolves and me. "You have perfect timing. Show our new friends to my house next door. They'll be staying there while we sort out the campaign." He didn't ask questions but looked at each one skeptically. "Also send out a mass message that we have guests. I don't want anyone thinking they are here with ill intentions."

Jameson gave a mock salute and walked out with the trail of guys following. I sat at the table about when there was another knock. This time it was followed by the smell of pepperoni though.

Thank the goddess.