39. Veritas

Sera buttoned her blouse despite her husband's protests

Sera buttoned her blouse despite her husband's protests. "Who said you could leave my bed and get dressed."

She clipped on her skirt then leaned over toward her husband, the bed dipping slightly from her weight as she kissed him. "I did. I want to see my sister."

"Which means I have to get out of bed too."

She smiled. "That it does, cher mari."

"Fine," he answered, getting out of bed and dressed.

"You could just let me go on my own."

His back stiffened. "No. I will walk you there."

"But you have so much to do," Sera countered. "I will be fine."

"No!" Roman roared, his breathing quick and angry. "It's not safe."

"It's been weeks since then and they have not returned." She wrapped her arms around her husband's waist and kissed his bare shoulder, loving the salty taste of his skin. "Maybe Theodore has given up."

"I'm not willing to risk it."

"Okay," she relented. "But one day, we're going to have to live our lives."

Roman bent down and kissed his little wife as he threw on his vest. "And someday we will, when I know you're safe."

"I could have a heart attack right here and die. No one is ever really safe."

Roman cupped Sera's face. "True, but right now, you are wanted, and I can't risk it again."

She nodded, understanding his concern. "Okay, what are you going to do while I am with my sister?"

He smirked. "Annoy August."

They walked to town together, Roman keeping his hand at the small of Sera's back. "If you need me, you know what to do."

She rolled her eyes playfully. "I know." Stopping in front of her sister's home, Sera glanced around noticing everyone's eyes on them. Smirking she yanked down on her husband's collar, and he chuckled. "What are you doing, petite souris?"

"Giving them a real show this time."

Her husband tasted of peppermint, and she inhaled his rich scent as he brought their bodies together. She tilted her head back and just when she thought Roman would deepen it, he pulled away, smirking. "Call it revenge."

He winked and strode off, leaving Sera flustered and irritated. "Always playing dirty," she muttered to herself. "Ana," she called out, opening the door of the house and entering.

It was eerily quiet and dark. "Ana!"

Sera strolled into the kitchen and found a note addressed to her, and she breathed out a relieved sigh. "Had to get meat. Be back soon."