14. And What Are They Running From?

Be the first to comment and get a shoutout and dedication in the next chapter. ❤️

The cigar smoke misted in August's office as Roman sat, enjoying a well-needed rest after a long couple of days rounding up bushranger scouts

The cigar smoke misted in August's office as Roman sat, enjoying a well-needed rest after a long couple of days rounding up bushranger scouts. The few he let live are busy behind bars, unwilling to open their mouths. But Roman's suspicions had been answered.

He knows about Sera and is starting to have his men prowl around in search for her.

The door opened and August came stomping in. "I've struck a deal with Conrad. There's only one thing that rat of a man loves more than owning his pretty wife."

"You paid him off." Roman inhaled his cigar and tapped the loose ashes in August's tray.

"I couldn't have you go and kill him." August smiled ruefully.

"Why not? It'd be one less diseased vermin in the world."

"Not everyone agrees with your version of justice, besides, you and Conrad have always been civil with one another. Why the disdain now?"

Roman taps some ash off his cigar. "He's only civil because he knows what will happen to him if he crosses me. Plus, I have no desire for his petty wife."

August grabs his own cigar, lighting it then sitting back in his seat. "I believe Lydia thinks differently."

Roman chuckles along with August and then silence follows as the two allow themselves a rare moment of relaxation. It had been too long since the brothers had been in each other's company like this. Minutes go by of some quiet chatter and perfect silence.

"How bad was she when you found her?" August asked.

They stared at each other and Roman stretched out his legs, snuffing out his cigar. "Starved and whipped with barely healed sores and bruises, as if a man had taken a rod to her without holding back any of his strength." Roman's eyes darkened at the memory of cleaning her wounds. "I never thought I'd want to kill a man as badly as him, but that day I did. Still do. What did you find out?"

August clenched his jaw and curled a fist against his collar, yanking at it. "Not much. They're American and their parents passed when they were young. Their father died in a shipwreck and the mother of a disease not too long after."

"Who'd they live with?" Roman had leaned in and rested his elbows on his knees.

"Their grandmother from what Ana had mentioned in her interview. I couldn't find much about the woman, but I did get information about the school they had attended... with a Mr. Dutton serving as their teacher." August's cigar laid on his ashtray, the end glowing a dim red, but the man didn't touch it and stared at the floor with narrowed eyes.

"You think he tried to ruin Ana?" Roman watched August visibly tense.

"I have my suspicions."

"My question is why did they come here separately?" Roman spoke as he scratched at his beard. "What were they running from or whom?"