38. A Good Memory

Sera wanted to reach out with her thumb to massage and soften the hardened mouth adorning her husband

Sera wanted to reach out with her thumb to massage and soften the hardened mouth adorning her husband. There had been no crushing hug of relief or fevering kisses, Roman did not waste time on it and instead went straight to tending Sera's wounds.

The shadows of the fire's limbs stretched and flicked along the harsh ridges of the mountain towering next to her. The flames made the usual pinkish-orange hue of the sand coating the sharp rock formation a vivid red, almost hypnotizing her. Breaking away, her gaze moved to the massive waterhole that became a creek that sliced through the expansive mountain gorge before her. Its mouth was opened wide, and the water was eerily still as distorted, barely visible stars reflected off its surface. It was one of the darkest nights she had ever experienced in the desert.

Sera winced, sucking in a sharp breath as she pulled her foot away from Roman. The bandages were tossed to the side and Roman grabbed her calf, yanking her forward until her foot with the missing digit was softly submerged into the ice-cold water. Gasping with a harsh breath, she turned her face away and focused her attention on the trees surrounding them.

She loved how the branches stretched out and dipped as if the still leaves were its finger trying to touch the water's surface. Everything around them was at rest, not even a little bit disturbed by the two strangers or the crackling fire.

Roman lifted her foot out and thoroughly cleaned her wound as Sera's stomach muscles clenched and she blocked off her oxygen, holding her breath in an effort to fight off the pain. Still holding her foot up by the heel, Roman examined it as his other hand dug through the bag. A sharp crack made him pause and Sera stop breathing completely. His hard gaze latched onto hers and the fire's glow radiated the lingering threat in them. He lifted his finger to his lips and set her foot down.

Unholstering one of his guns, he surveyed the surrounding area and Sera's heartbeat drummed in her ears, making them ring. Kuypang snorted, sticking his hoof against the earth and causing another stick to snap. Sera searched the sandy ground and her gaze settled on a snake not too far away, slithering slowly toward Kuypang.

"Roman!" Sera whispered sharply, causing him to glance toward her. She pointed and his gaze followed the path and locked onto the serpent. Kuypang whinnied in terror and Roman slid out a dagger, working quickly and stabbed the serpent through its head.

"There's dinner tonight," he said as he lifted it up.

Calmly striding over to Kuypang, Roman tended to his horse and Sera sewed her eyes shut as Roman spoke in his native tongue. The deep and lyrical tone spoke to her even though she had no clue what he was saying, but it touched her, nonetheless. Glancing down at her foot, shame gripped her. She did not want Roman touching it or seeing it anymore. She did not regret what she did. It had saved Omeo. But it was yet another disfigurement ailing her body. The scars scattered across her back were not enough, now she was missing a piece of her.

Staring out into the water, Sera remembered a sermon a long time ago about baptism and how it meant to fully submerge oneself.  She wondered, if she were to do it, would she come up knew and healed? Not her scars and disfigurements, obviously, but the memories that haunted her, would they vanish? Would her shame?