52. Night of the Battle to Retake the Wall (Part 1 Last Chapter)

Start from the beginning

"Understood. We will continue to act in secret." Klaus said.

"Think this is the right occasion to have meat for dinner?" Harold asked.

"Yes. We've gotta show those brats what grown men are capable of." Dirk said, standing up and walking towards the door. He turned to Hange. "What do we do about the information Commander Shadis is withholding?"

"Just forget about it." Hange replied, leaving. "We don't have time to drag it out of him."

"Wow, Hange. I can hardly believe you used to look up to him!" Marlene said with a chuckle.

"Shut up!" Hange said with embarassment.
.

Levi closed door on Hange's back by leaning on it.

"What is it, Levi?" Erwin asked.

"It may be too soon for this, but what do you plan to do after retaking Wall Maria?" Levi asked. "I assume defense would be the next priority, but then what?"

"We take our threats." Erwin replied. "Someone outside the walls seems to want us all to be eaten by Titans. I suppose the basement might tell us more about who exactly that someone is. But as I said earlier, further plans will come after we see the basement."

"I'm asking because there's a good chance you won't be around by then." Levi said with a dark expression. "You won't be able to move like you used to." Erwin looked down at his right shoulder. "Let Hange lead this mission. You'll only slow the group down. Stay here and let the good news come to you. We can tell the others I relentlessly talked you into it. Well, that's actually what I intend to do either way. What do you say?"

Erwin looked away, remembering his father. He narrowed his eyes. "No." Levi looked up. Erwin looked at him. "I dont care if I end up dead even act as bait. That's why the chain of commandis in place. When I die, Hange will take over. And another will come after her. You're right about this being a dangerous operation, but it's also the single most important step for humanity to take. That's why I have gone to such lengths. This is all part of the plans. If I stay behind, the odds of success will plummet."

"That's true." Levi said. "The operation might fail, but if it fails and you also die, think about what will happen. That's why you should use your head from the safety of that desk. That's the last thing the Titans would want and the best thing you could do for humanity."

"No, that's not it." Erwin said. "Our best bet is riding on the success of-"

"Hey, hey, hey, hey! Stop right there." Levi said, pointing at him with a frightened expression. "Next time I hear that excuse, I'm going to break both of your legs. I'll make sure it's a clean break that will heal up nice and easy, but you'll be sobbing in this room while the rest of us are retaking Wall Maria. And you'll dread using the toilet in the meantime."

Erwin looked away and let out a small chuckle. "That doesn't sound inconvenient. I can't deny that you're right." He looked down. "A wounded soldier should stay off the battlefield." He looked up at Levi. "However, I cannot allow myself to say in this room at the moment when the truth of this world is discontinued."

Levi was staring at him with mouth open.

"That's what's so important to you?" Levi asked and stepped forward a bit. "More important than your legs?"

"Yes." Erwin replied.

"More important than humanity's victory?" Levi asked with narrowed eyes.

"Yes." Erwin replied.

Levi looked down. "I see." He turned around and held the door handle then turned to Erwin. "Erwin... I'll trust your judgement." He turned around and left.