Ch 14

Kakashi's POV
That guy, he looked so much like sensei... no, no that's stupid. I would know of someone like that. Or if I didn't, Shikaku or Lord Hokage would. His name was Tobi? Like Obito. No. No no no. But Nohara? Rin didn't have a large family. It's a small clan. Ugghhhh. NO! Why the hell is this random guy like a blend of my dead team!

"Pakuun, have you had any luck yet?"

"For the 15th time Kakashi, this guy's way to good at covering his tracks, no matter how good you are at tracking, you can't follow a track that isn't there. It's like he disappeared altogether."

Disappeared... or teleported... like sensei- no no, no. Not like sensei, I can't get tripped up over something like that, what happens if I have to fight him? I can't get distracted.

"Kakashi? Kakashi... Kakashi."

"What is it Pakuun?"

"Look, until Shukaku or the Hokage give further orders, we'll keep looking, I'll tell you if we find anything. For now though, go hang out with Gai or something."

"...fine. Thanks Pakuun."

//timeskip//

"KAKASHI! MY RIVAL, WHAT BRINGS YOU HERE TODAY ON THIS FINE MORNING?
Wait a minute... KAKASHI, YOU'RE AWAKE IN THE MORNING? COULD IT BE POSSIBLE, THAT YOU, KAKASHI, MY RIVAL, ARE FINALLY EMBRACING YOUR YOUTH?!"

"Yeah, no. I couldn't sleep."

"ARE YOU SICK? SHOULD I TAKE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? I'LL REPORT THIS TO LORD HOKAGE, HAVE HIM TAKE YOU OFF MISSIONS TO RECOVER!"

"You act like this isn't a regular thing for me, Gai I'm fine. How're your students doing?"

"WHY THEY'RE RUNNING 100 LAPS AROUND KONOHA AS WE SPEAK!"

"And you aren't with them?"

"They uh... wanted to try being more independent with their training, in case I ever get called out on a mission I suppose."

"Or their slacking."

"NONSENSE, WITH NEJI'S DETERMINATION, TENTEN'S AMBITION, AND LEE'S INCREDIBLE PASSION, THEY COULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD SLACKING!
Although I may have asked Ningame to watch over them, for their safety, they won't know of course."

"...wow, what splendid ninja, won't notice they're being followed by a talking ninja turtle."

"NINGAME IS A TORTOISE KAKASHI, T O R T O I S E. TORTOISE."

"Wow, maybe our next challenge should be a spelling bee."

"NOW THAT MY DEAR RIVAL, IS A SPLENDID IDEA!"

"...alright then." Kakashi began reaching for his book.

"Kakashi?"

"Hm?"

"Dont ignore me."

"Yeah, yeah, sure..."

"Will you go on a date with me?"

"Hm? Oh yeah..."

"YOU LIAR! MY RIVAL WOULD NEVER AGREE TO SUCH A THING NO MATTER HOW MUCH I BEG! YOU REALLY ARE IGNORING ME!" Gai yanked the book from his hand..

"Wait, what did I agree to?"

"...oh. Ohohoho. My RIVAL! IGNORING ME OR NOT YOU DID IN FACT AGREE TO GO ON A DATE WITH ME!"

"Heh? Oh. Oh no."

"OH YES!"

"Gai... uhh weren't you trying to talk to me about something? You know, something important?"

"Oh no no no, my rival, you will not fool me with this trickery, you cannot avoid this. Wait- what was I going to talk about? Oh yes!"

"Whoo."

"That report Shukaku put out to all the Jonins, about the man who appeared and then vanished in the woods, you were the one who reported it correct?"

"That report was supposed to be anonymous Gai, what the fuck."

"LANGUAGE! Anyways, I saw you when I was on my 6,783rd lap out of 10,000 around Konoha for the day, and the look on your face, the ninja hounds, and the timing of the report just seemed to add up. What do you know about that guy?"

"...nothing. The hounds couldn't track him, he had no identification, he just claimed to be a civilian so I would get off him and he could run."

"Yet you're losing sleep over him."

"I hate it when you're observant. Yeah, okay that's why I'm losing sleep. He looked like sensei and it freaked me out. I don't know what to do about it, the hounds still haven't had any luck."

"Give the ninja hounds a break, if they haven't found him yet, they probably won't. All the Jonin are aware of the situation, and rumor has it, Lord Hokage sent for backup, if this guy is a threat, we'll be able to handle it. After all, that's what YOUTH IS ABOUT!"

"And we're back. Alright, I'm gonna head out. Thanks Gai."

"NO PROBLEM, MY RIVAL, DON'T THINK I'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT OUR AGREEMENT!"

"Shit."

Pakuun knew Gai would help, didn't he?

A/N: just wanna clarify that KakashixGai is not going to be an actual thing in this. I like the ship, but I don't want any ships to be a part of the main story. It's just going to be a running joke of Gai messing with Kakashi.